Old 02-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Keith Roberts

Default OT - simple CAD program to design electronic circuits with

Hi all.

Is there an electronic circuit design CAD package available
for Centos 5.5 please?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Old 02-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Peter Brady

On 7/02/11 10:06 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
> Is there an electronic circuit design CAD package available
> for Centos 5.5 please?

I use Eagle CAD on my Mac and I know that there is a linux version. I'm
pretty sure that we also use this on out student RHEL5 labs. They have
a free version that is really pretty comprehensive.

Cheers,
-pete

Old 02-06-2011, 11:57 PM
Michael Klinosky

Keith Roberts wrote:
> Is there an electronic circuit design CAD package available
> for Centos 5.5 please?

http://opencircuitdesign.com/xcircuit/

I haven't used it yet, so I don't really know what it's like.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Paul Wilson

Keith,

One possibility is Kicad (start at
http://kicad.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page). I have been
using this package recently and it has reached the stage of being very
useful. At this time it lacks some of the features of commercial PCB CAD
packages but the price is right and it is an active project so those
features will probably come over time.

Have fun,

Paul

Old 02-07-2011, 12:08 AM
KevinO

On 02/06/2011 05:57 PM, Michael Klinosky wrote:
> Keith Roberts wrote:
>> Is there an electronic circuit design CAD package available
>> for Centos 5.5 please?
>
> http://opencircuitdesign.com/xcircuit/
>
> I haven't used it yet, so I don't really know what it's like.

I've been using xcircuit for years, and found it to be fast, fairly easy to
learn, and quite useful. Not so great if what you're trying to do is capture to
perform SPICE simulations, but a really great 2D drawing tool.

There are additional parts libraries for it available online, and it's not hard
to create your own, either. Output/working files are Postscript, so they're
easily opened and converted in GIMP if needed.

--
KevinO

Old 02-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Keith Roberts

On Sun, 6 Feb 2011, KevinO wrote:

> From: KevinO <kevin@kevino.org>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] OT - simple CAD program to design electronic circuits
> with
>
> On 02/06/2011 05:57 PM, Michael Klinosky wrote:
>> Keith Roberts wrote:
>>> Is there an electronic circuit design CAD package available
>>> for Centos 5.5 please?
>>
>> http://opencircuitdesign.com/xcircuit/
>>
>> I haven't used it yet, so I don't really know what it's like.
>>
> I've been using xcircuit for years, and found it to be fast, fairly easy to
> learn, and quite useful. Not so great if what you're trying to do is capture to
> perform SPICE simulations, but a really great 2D drawing tool.
>
> There are additional parts libraries for it available online, and it's not hard
> to create your own, either. Output/working files are Postscript, so they're
> easily opened and converted in GIMP if needed.

Thaks to everyone that has replied to my thread.

I just need a CAD program to design simple audio circuits,
like a passive mixer.

Here's an interesting circuit:

http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/linemixer.html

It would be nice if the CAD program can give me some idea of
the gain achieved, as I change various components. I would
like to print out the circuit diagram as well. Another plus
would be the option to convert a working standard circuit
diagram layout, into the equivalent layout for using strip
board.

I'll check out the suggest CAD packaages and get back to the
list with my findings.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Steve Walsh

check out gEDA in EPEL - www.gpleda.org/index.html

Old 02-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Keith Roberts

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011, Peter Brady wrote:

> From: Peter Brady <pdbrady@ans.com.au>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] OT - simple CAD program to design electronic circuits
> with
>
> On 7/02/11 10:06 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>> Is there an electronic circuit design CAD package available
>> for Centos 5.5 please?
>
> I use Eagle CAD on my Mac and I know that there is a linux version. I'm
> pretty sure that we also use this on out student RHEL5 labs. They have
> a free version that is really pretty comprehensive.

Thanks for that Pete. I have installed the Freeware version
of EAGLE, and it looks really good.

Will check out the others as well.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Keith Roberts

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011, cornel panceac wrote:

> From: cornel panceac <cpanceac@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] OT - simple CAD program to design electronic circuits
> with
>
> On 02/07/2011 10:37 PM, Keith Roberts wrote:>
>>> I'll check out the suggest CAD packaages and get back to the
>>> list with my findings.
>>

> have you seen this?
> http://spins.fedoraproject.org/fel/

Thanks for reminding me about FEL!

I might install individual packages from that, like electric
and test them out.

Kind Regards,

Keith

Old 02-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Keith Roberts

On Sun, 6 Feb 2011, Keith Roberts wrote:

> From: Keith Roberts <keith@karsites.net>
> Subject: [CentOS] OT - simple CAD program to design electronic circuits with
>
> Is there an electronic circuit design CAD package
> available for Centos 5.5 please?

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I found Qucs
mentioned in the FEL docs. I have decided to start with that
as it has a very intuitive GUI, appears to have a fast
learning curve, and supports circuit simulations.

By following the qucs help documents, I have done a simple
DC simulation similar to the one in this video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=VYhWK_lUrFw

Thanks for all the other suggestions which I have bookmarked
and will start to check out if Qucs cannot handle what I
need it for.