Old 02-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Kwan Lowe

Default OpenSSH could be faster...then why don't they path it??

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 7:20 AM, kellyremo <kellyremo@zoho.com> wrote:

> https://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/hpn-v-ssh-tput.jpg
>
> "SCP and the underlying SSH2 protocol implementation in OpenSSH is network
> performance limited by statically defined internal flow control buffers.
> These buffers often end up acting as a bottleneck for network throughput of
> SCP, especially on long and high bandwith network links. Modifying the ssh
> code to allow the buffers to be defined at run time eliminates this
> bottleneck. We have created a patch that will remove the bottlenecks in
> OpenSSH and is fully interoperable with other servers and clients. In
> addition HPN clients will be able to download faster from non HPN servers,
> and HPN servers will be able to receive uploads faster from non HPN clients.
> However, the host receiving the data must have a properly tuned TCP/IP
> stack."
>
> My question is: So Why Does the original OpenSSH has "limited statically
> defined internal flow control buffers"?? It could be way faster, even 10x!!

They are likely erring on the side of safety. Dynamic buffers could
introduce some vulnerabilities. You can generate race conditions in
different ways, and whenever there's a dynamic run-time setting this
increases the exposure surface.

BTW, at the end of the linked article:
ms with buffer_append_space in HPN-SSH. If you are experiencing
disconnects due to a failure in buffer_append_space please let us
know. We're currently tracking some problems with this and we're
trying to gather more information to help resolve it.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Kellyremo wrote on Sun, 06 Feb 2011 04:20:40 -0800:

> Any opinions?

Yes. Please carry it to the appropriate forum. Thanks.

Kai

Old 02-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 04:20:36 -0800, kellyremo wrote:

Please, avoid sending messages with html format :-)

> https://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/hpn-v-ssh-tput.jpg

(...)

http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/

> My question is: So Why Does the original OpenSSH has "limited
> statically defined internal flow control buffers"?? It could be way
> faster, even 10x!!
>
> With the HPN-SCP path it could be the descendant of FTP! Why aren't
> there any ""OpenSCP packages""? ('normal SCP+HPN-SCP path+no local user
> needed for SCP'ing+chroot by default')
>
> Any opinions?

I wonder what OpenSSH upstream project thinks about that patch.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 02-06-2011, 03:56 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 4:20 AM, kellyremo <kellyremo@zoho.com> wrote:

> Any opinions?

Stop cross-posting to inappropriate lists.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 04:20:41 -0800
kellyremo <kellyremo@zoho.com> wrote:

> https://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/hpn-v-ssh-tput.jpg
...snip...

This isn't the place to talk about ssh development.

I would suggest asking the upstream openssh devel list, and/or filing a
bug with their bugtracker to get it looked at. I suspect there's a good
reason it's the way it is/the above person is missing something.

Good luck.

kevin

Old 02-07-2011, 05:07 AM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 7:20 AM, kellyremo <kellyremo@zoho.com> wrote:

> My question is: So Why Does the original OpenSSH has "limited statically
> defined internal flow control buffers"?? It could be way faster, even 10x!!

> Any opinions?
>
> Thank you!

I think this thread would be very welcome on the comp.securty.ssh
newsgroup, also available as a Google group. It's been dull over
there, and as an old-time poster there, I think it would be a welcome
discussion.

More generally and for CentOS, this software has an *old* core, and
its stability is critical. There are a lot of recent computational
capabilities that weren't envisioned when it was written, and "Keep It
Simple, Stupid" remains critical to this and other system utilities
that have to run as trusted, critical services without updating every
few weeks as the last round of changes introduces new or rediscovers
old bugs. Like bind and sendmail and ftp, it doesn't need new features
that often, and the software *must be* compatible with older clients
and servers. If you want leading edge features, hop over to Fedora to
test and refine it, then encourage its backport to RHEL and CentOS.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:57 AM
Steven Susbauer

[...]

Not needed. Your link is to a page from 2005. OpenSSH is on version 5.8,
those patches stopped at 5.6 and for very good reason.

See: http://marc.info/?l=openssh-unix-dev&m=123483715829020&w=2