Old 02-06-2011, 06:00 AM
Chuck Munro

Default Fan speed control on Supermicro X8DAL board with CentOS

Hello folks,

I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out why the CPU cooling
fans run at full speed on my Supermicro X8DAL-3 motherboard. There
doesn't seem to be any variable speed (the fans are PWM compatible) ...
they either idle at almost nothing, or suddenly burst into a
high-pitched scream that gets my ears bleeding after a few seconds.
Once they jump to warp-10, they remain there.

The "Super-I/O" chip on this board is a Winbond W83627DHG which does the
temperature and voltage monitoring.

Is anyone aware of which driver or kernel module I need for that chip in
order to get control of the fans? The Supermicro web site and the
board's manual aren't any help. Fresh installs of CentOS-5.5 and RHEL-6
don't exert any control by default. Installing the lm_sensors package
and probing with the 'sensors' command didn't help either.

Slowly going deaf .......

Chuck

Old 02-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Ned Slider

On 06/02/11 07:00, Chuck Munro wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out why the CPU cooling
> fans run at full speed on my Supermicro X8DAL-3 motherboard. There
> doesn't seem to be any variable speed (the fans are PWM compatible) ...
> they either idle at almost nothing, or suddenly burst into a
> high-pitched scream that gets my ears bleeding after a few seconds.
> Once they jump to warp-10, they remain there.
>
> The "Super-I/O" chip on this board is a Winbond W83627DHG which does the
> temperature and voltage monitoring.
>
> Is anyone aware of which driver or kernel module I need for that chip in
> order to get control of the fans? The Supermicro web site and the
> board's manual aren't any help. Fresh installs of CentOS-5.5 and RHEL-6
> don't exert any control by default. Installing the lm_sensors package
> and probing with the 'sensors' command didn't help either.
>
> Slowly going deaf .......
>
> Chuck

Hi Chuck,

The correct kernel module for your chipset is w83627ehf.ko. I'm not sure
the driver actually controls fan speed, I thought it was more for
monitoring (fan speeds, temps, voltages) but I could be wrong. My
current system (not a Supermicro) controls variable fan speed from
options within the BIOS. I can enable/disable fan speed control and
select either voltage or PWM based control.

The stock w83627ehf driver in RHEL5.5 is oldish (they were updated in
5.5 I think but are still over a year old now). ELRepo.org have an
updated driver available (kmod-w83627ehf) based on a backport from
kernel-2.6.34. I've just checked upstream and a few more patches have
been committed since kernel-2.6.34 and the current kernel-2.6.37 so I'll
look at updating the elrepo driver with those latest patches.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Chuck Munro

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 12:09:12 +0000 Ned Slider wrote:

> On 06/02/11 07:00, Chuck Munro wrote:
>> > Hello folks,
>> >
>> > I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out why the CPU cooling
>> > fans run at full speed on my Supermicro X8DAL-3 motherboard. There
>> > doesn't seem to be any variable speed (the fans are PWM compatible) ...
>> > they either idle at almost nothing, or suddenly burst into a
>> > high-pitched scream that gets my ears bleeding after a few seconds.
>> > Once they jump to warp-10, they remain there.
>> >
>> > The "Super-I/O" chip on this board is a Winbond W83627DHG which does the
>> > temperature and voltage monitoring.
>> >
>> > Is anyone aware of which driver or kernel module I need for that chip in
>> > order to get control of the fans? The Supermicro web site and the
>> > board's manual aren't any help. Fresh installs of CentOS-5.5 and RHEL-6
>> > don't exert any control by default. Installing the lm_sensors package
>> > and probing with the 'sensors' command didn't help either.
>> >
>> > Slowly going deaf .......
>> >
>> > Chuck
>
> Hi Chuck,
>
> The correct kernel module for your chipset is w83627ehf.ko. I'm not sure
> the driver actually controls fan speed, I thought it was more for
> monitoring (fan speeds, temps, voltages) but I could be wrong. My
> current system (not a Supermicro) controls variable fan speed from
> options within the BIOS. I can enable/disable fan speed control and
> select either voltage or PWM based control.
>
> The stock w83627ehf driver in RHEL5.5 is oldish (they were updated in
> 5.5 I think but are still over a year old now). ELRepo.org have an
> updated driver available (kmod-w83627ehf) based on a backport from
> kernel-2.6.34. I've just checked upstream and a few more patches have
> been committed since kernel-2.6.34 and the current kernel-2.6.37 so I'll
> look at updating the elrepo driver with those latest patches.
>
> Hope that helps.

Thanks Ned! I did go through the board's BIOS menus several times and
could find only one fan control option, which ranges from always-fast
for maximum performance to almost-silent for workstation use. No matter
what the setting, the fans may start out slow but eventually jump to
high speed. Updating the BIOS to the latest version made no difference.
I also noticed that at all times the BIOS reports the CPU temperatures
as "Low" no matter what the fan speed. The coolers are always cold to
the touch.

I sure hope I don't have a defective board ... it's a royal pain to have
to remove one from a large server. I booted Ubuntu but the live-CD
version doesn't have a working 'fancontrol' utility. I'd be tempted to
install Ubuntu Server but I much prefer staying with CentOS and KVM to
match all of the guest virtual machines it'll be running.

Time to go through the mobo manual with a fine-tooth comb. :-)

Chuck

Old 02-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Ned Slider

On 06/02/11 17:15, Chuck Munro wrote:

>> Hi Chuck,
>>
>> The correct kernel module for your chipset is w83627ehf.ko. I'm not sure
>> the driver actually controls fan speed, I thought it was more for
>> monitoring (fan speeds, temps, voltages) but I could be wrong. My
>> current system (not a Supermicro) controls variable fan speed from
>> options within the BIOS. I can enable/disable fan speed control and
>> select either voltage or PWM based control.
>>
>> The stock w83627ehf driver in RHEL5.5 is oldish (they were updated in
>> 5.5 I think but are still over a year old now). ELRepo.org have an
>> updated driver available (kmod-w83627ehf) based on a backport from
>> kernel-2.6.34. I've just checked upstream and a few more patches have
>> been committed since kernel-2.6.34 and the current kernel-2.6.37 so I'll
>> look at updating the elrepo driver with those latest patches.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>

> Thanks Ned! I did go through the board's BIOS menus several times and
> could find only one fan control option, which ranges from always-fast
> for maximum performance to almost-silent for workstation use. No matter
> what the setting, the fans may start out slow but eventually jump to
> high speed. Updating the BIOS to the latest version made no difference.
> I also noticed that at all times the BIOS reports the CPU temperatures
> as "Low" no matter what the fan speed. The coolers are always cold to
> the touch.
>
> I sure hope I don't have a defective board ... it's a royal pain to have
> to remove one from a large server. I booted Ubuntu but the live-CD
> version doesn't have a working 'fancontrol' utility. I'd be tempted to
> install Ubuntu Server but I much prefer staying with CentOS and KVM to
> match all of the guest virtual machines it'll be running.
>
> Time to go through the mobo manual with a fine-tooth comb. :-)
>
> Chuck

You're welcome Chuck.

Your question prompted me to update the elrepo kmod-w83627ehf driver
package to the latest upstream source (kernel-2.6.37):

http://lists.elrepo.org/pipermail/elrepo/2011-February/000488.html

By all means give that package a try, but I'm not convinced it will
address your problem in this case. Either way, it should be relatively
quick and painless to test - updated packages should be available shortly.

Maybe someone with more experience of this particular Supermicro M/B
will pop up on the list :-)

Regards,

Ned

Old 02-07-2011, 06:42 PM
RedShift

On 02/06/11 18:48, Ned Slider wrote:

> You're welcome Chuck.
>
> Your question prompted me to update the elrepo kmod-w83627ehf driver
> package to the latest upstream source (kernel-2.6.37):
>
> http://lists.elrepo.org/pipermail/elrepo/2011-February/000488.html
>
> By all means give that package a try, but I'm not convinced it will
> address your problem in this case. Either way, it should be relatively
> quick and painless to test - updated packages should be available shortly.
>
> Maybe someone with more experience of this particular Supermicro M/B
> will pop up on the list :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Ned

Actually it's possible a hardware monitoring module is interfering with the FAN speed control duties. Try preventing any hardware monitoring related modules get modprobed. See modprobe.conf how to blacklist modules.

Glenn

Old 02-09-2011, 03:09 AM
Chuck Munro

On 02/07/11 20:42, RedShift wrote:

> Actually it's possible a hardware monitoring module is interfering with the FAN speed control duties. Try preventing any hardware monitoring related modules get modprobed. See modprobe.conf how to blacklist modules.
>

> Glenn

Interesting thought Glenn, thanks.

I've since gone back to CentOS-5.5 on the box (since it's not fully
built anyway) and added the SuperoDoctor monitoring utility after
resolving a couple of dependencies like SNMP and the correct kernel driver.

I sent an enquiry to the Supermicro support folks, and they jumped on it
right away, which impressed me. They wanted a screenshot of
SuperoDoctor to try to analyze the problem.

I don't think it's a case of a kernel module getting in the way because
this issue crops up even during the BIOS boot process, and happens
randomly if I run memtest86 as well. Sometimes the fans jump to light
speed, other times not. I'm beginning to think it's either a bug in the
latest BIOS or a sensor chip problem. Even when the CPU temperatures
are reported as "Low", the fans run full speed most of the time. The
exhaust air leaving the box is almost cool, so ambient temperature is ok.

I'll give the Supermicro support folks some time to sort this out, since
I'm still waiting for CentOS-6 anyway.

Chuck