Old 02-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Todd Denniston

Default x25 line xterm

Hal Davison wrote, On 02/04/2011 05:33 PM:
> Noted that xterm by default uses 24 lines
> per window.
>
> I have reviewed /etc/termcap looking for a
> specific entry for xterm that I can edit
> to change the ln#24 to ln#25 for our
> application.
>
> When I used RedHat there was an editable
> option to change the number of displayable
> lines as is done in putty.
>

> Any suggestions?
>
> --Hal.

find the info in man about size.
man xterm
/geometry
/geometry
and
/geometry
/geometry

--
Todd Denniston

Old 02-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Bill Campbell

On Fri, Feb 04, 2011, Hal Davison wrote:
>Noted that xterm by default uses 24 lines
>per window.
>
>I have reviewed /etc/termcap looking for a
>specific entry for xterm that I can edit
>to change the ln#24 to ln#25 for our
>application.
>
>When I used RedHat there was an editable
>option to change the number of displayable
>lines as is done in putty.

At the command line: 'xterm -geometry 80x25'.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186 Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

...it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an
irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's
minds... -- Samuel Adams

Old 02-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Gé Weijers

On Fri, 4 Feb 2011, Hal Davison wrote:

> Noted that xterm by default uses 24 lines
> per window.
>
> I have reviewed /etc/termcap looking for a
> specific entry for xterm that I can edit
> to change the ln#24 to ln#25 for our
> application.

Text-mode applications should get their screen size from the terminal
settings, i.e. directly from the kernel, unless that information is
missing. If you run 'xterm -geometry 80x25' you get a terminal that has
the size you're looking for. The 'stty -a' command will show the actual
dimensions, btw.

Editing the geometry in termcap/terminfo will not do anything unless you
use a real serial port to connect to your system, xterm et. al. will
override it.

Ge'

Old 02-04-2011, 11:34 PM
Thomas Dickey

On Fri, 4 Feb 2011, Hal Davison wrote:

> Noted that xterm by default uses 24 lines
> per window.
>
> I have reviewed /etc/termcap looking for a
> specific entry for xterm that I can edit
> to change the ln#24 to ln#25 for our
> application.
>
> When I used RedHat there was an editable
> option to change the number of displayable
> lines as is done in putty.

That's usually done by setting xterm's geometry resource.
(changing the termcap won't have the desired effect)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net

Old 02-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Hal Davison

On 2/4/2011 5:57 PM, Bill Campbell wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 04, 2011, Hal Davison wrote:
>> Noted that xterm by default uses 24 lines
>> per window.
>>
>> I have reviewed /etc/termcap looking for a
>> specific entry for xterm that I can edit
>> to change the ln#24 to ln#25 for our
>> application.
>>
>> When I used RedHat there was an editable
>> option to change the number of displayable
>> lines as is done in putty.
> At the command line: 'xterm -geometry 80x25'.
>
> Bill
Thanks Bill will attempt you suggestion
and reply..

--Hal.

--
Hal Davison
Observe Goal, Set the course, Burn the map