Old 02-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Jatin

Default Unable to connect to wireless network

Hi CentOS users

I just installed the CentOS 5.5 version on my toshiba laptop. I did the
configuration that i had for the wireless settings but still i could not
connect to my home wireless network. So someone please guide me on how i
can connect my laptop to my wireless home network.

Thanks
Jatin

Old 02-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Bob Beers

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Jatin <daveyjatin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi CentOS users

Hi Jatin

> I just installed the CentOS 5.5 version on my toshiba laptop. I did the
> configuration that i had for the wireless settings but still i could not
> connect to my home wireless network. So someone please guide me on how i
> can connect my laptop to my wireless home network.

I opened a browser to www.google.com and entered these terms:
centos wiki wireless

This was the first hit:
<http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless>

HTH,
-Bob

Old 02-04-2011, 03:42 PM
John Doe

From: Jatin <daveyjatin@gmail.com>

> I just installed the CentOS 5.5 version on my toshiba laptop. I did the
> configuration that i had for the wireless settings but still i could not
> connect to my home wireless network. So someone please guide me on how i
> can connect my laptop to my wireless home network.

Too bad you did not give any usefull information...

JD

Old 02-04-2011, 04:03 PM

Hello Jatin

This might mean that you don't have the drivers for the wireless card installed.

My laptop has a button that when press switches the wireless card on and a LED turns blue. If I don't have the drivers installed then the light does not turn blue.

Lee

Old 02-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Scott Robbins

> From: Jatin <daveyjatin@gmail.com>
>
> > I just installed the CentOS 5.5 version on my toshiba laptop. I did the
> > configuration that i had for the wireless settings but still i could not
> > connect to my home wireless network. So someone please guide me on how i
> > can connect my laptop to my wireless home network.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/rhhw.html

might give you ideas of what information would be necessary.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: You know, I just woke up and I looked in the mirror and
thought, 'Hey, what's with all the sin.' I need to change. I'm
dirty, I'm bad with the sex, and the envy, and the loud music us
kids listen to nowadays. Oh, I just suck at undercover.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:47 PM
lostson

On 2/4/2011 11:17 AM, Scott Robbins wrote:
>> From: Jatin<daveyjatin@gmail.com>
>>
>>> I just installed the CentOS 5.5 version on my toshiba laptop. I did the
>>> configuration that i had for the wireless settings but still i could not
>>> connect to my home wireless network. So someone please guide me on how i
>>> can connect my laptop to my wireless home network.
>>

> http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/rhhw.html
>
> might give you ideas of what information would be necessary.

Is netowork manager running ? It is not enabled by default. So you may
need to turn it on. Could really use some more information as well like
what kind of wireless card etc, good luck.

--
lostson

http://lostsonsvault.org

CentOS - It's not just for servers ya know

Old 02-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Always Learning

On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 21:45 +0530, Jatin wrote:

> I just installed the CentOS 5.5 version on my toshiba laptop. I did the
> configuration that i had for the wireless settings but still i could not
> connect to my home wireless network. So someone please guide me on how i
> can connect my laptop to my wireless home network.

Hi Jatin,

I'm a kind of "expert" on this. In the last 2 weeks I've done 2 laptops
and one notebook. The biggest problem is Centos may not have the
necessary wifi drivers. Centos 5.5 kernel is 2.6.18. Some wifi drivers
were added to the Linux kernel 2.6.27.

(1) Discover what driver you need / wifi chipset you have.

Open Terminal and type:-

iwlist wlan0 scan

You will probably experience a pause then get a lot of data. The data is
local wifi hosts If you get the display then your wifi is working ...
sort of.

(2) Next type:

lspci

What do you get for "Network Controller" .... "Wireless Network
Adapter" ?

I spent about 24 hours on this and slowly discovered bits myself and got
some helpful advice on this list. It can be a very frustrating
experience getting the wifi working but it can be done for most wifi
chip sets. However Centos 6 should not have these problems. I think its
kernel 2.6.34.

--

With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Ned Slider

On 04/02/11 22:51, Always Learning wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 21:45 +0530, Jatin wrote:
>
>> I just installed the CentOS 5.5 version on my toshiba laptop. I did the
>> configuration that i had for the wireless settings but still i could not
>> connect to my home wireless network. So someone please guide me on how i
>> can connect my laptop to my wireless home network.
>
> Hi Jatin,
>
> I'm a kind of "expert" on this. In the last 2 weeks I've done 2 laptops
> and one notebook. The biggest problem is Centos may not have the
> necessary wifi drivers. Centos 5.5 kernel is 2.6.18. Some wifi drivers
> were added to the Linux kernel 2.6.27.

Red Hat constantly backports updated drivers into each update set. The
kernel in 5.3 contained support for many new wireless devices as did the
5.5 kernel. The current CentOS kernel bears little to no resemblance to
a stock 2.6.18 kernel wrt wireless support.

Drivers for devices not directly supported by the kernel (and many
wireless firmware packages) can be found at elrepo.org.

Once we know the device then I'm sure we can point the OP in the right
direction.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Always Learning

On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 23:48 +0000, Ned Slider wrote:

> Once we know the device then I'm sure we can point the OP in the right
> direction.

Agreed. It's just knowing that the machine is working with wifi (hence
the iwlist) and then discovering what is needed (the lspci).

On my netbook Elrepo provided the driver then Bingo! all my problems
(with the netbook) vanished. Its become my favourite machine.

--

With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Jatin

> I opened a browser to www.google.com and entered these terms:
> centos wiki wireless
>
> This was the first hit:
> <http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless>
>
> HTH,
> -Bob

Thanks Bob.

I followed the link and got connected to my wireless home network.

Thanks
Jatin