Old 02-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Roland RoLaNd

Default selenium rc server - run it on a specific display help!

Dear all,

i'm trying to run multiple* selenium rc server on a centos box (different ports)
with developers connecting to it through VNC (different respective ports) to check their automated test result.
i can easily do the above manually (when it comes to running RC server).
though automating the process is proving to be difficult.
can anyone guide me on how to run a service on a specific display in an automated process?

right now if i connect to a vnc session (any port) and i run it manually through iterm, it works normally.
though setting an cron job that does the above, isnt working (rc opens in shell instead of on each dev's assigned display)

Old 02-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Cameron Kerr

You need to instruct it what DISPLAY to run on.
DISPLAY=...*command-to-run-selenium
You should also need (I think) to do something with X authentication (xauth)
Are you sure that running it from cron is suitable? Seems very unusual for a GUI program.
On 5/02/2011, at 3:08 AM, Roland RoLaNd wroteear all,

Old 02-07-2011, 07:40 AM
Roland RoLaNd

ok i'll specify the display though not experienced with xauth i'll search for it.

as for cron vs gui well any advice?
i really need this service to be up and running 24/7 with no downtime
so i'm thinking of the following cronjob:

if netstat -ntulp* | grep -v 4444
DISPLAY="localhost:1"; java - jar selenium-server.jar > /tmp/rc.log* 2>&1;
else
echo "nothing to do `date`" >> /tmp/rc.log
echo
echo
fi

# Can you advise me with a better idea?