Old 02-03-2011, 08:43 PM
"Y. K. Liu"

Default CentOS 4.8

Hi,

I installed CentOS 4.8 (not CentOS 5) on VMware Fusion using an ISO file I downloaded. During the installation, it asked me to enter a user name and its password. I tried to enter root for the user name, but it would not let me do that. So I had to enter a non-root user name.

So I did not have the root user name and password when the installation completed. I only had a non-privileged user name, and could not do any sudo work. How can I solve this problem?

I noticed that CentOS 5 (not the 4.8 I needed to install) asking to enter the password for root during the installation. But I need to install CentOS 4.8, not 5.

Thank you.
Jerry

Old 02-03-2011, 09:02 PM
David Brian Chait

Jerry,
*************** The Centos install first asks for an administrative password and then as a part of the final configuration script, asks you to create a non-priv account. You do have a root acct, and you did declare a password. If you forgot what you might have used then boot into single user mode and change the root pwd.
*
-David
*
*

Old 02-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Bowie Bailey

On 2/3/2011 4:43 PM, Y. K. Liu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed CentOS 4.8 (not CentOS 5) on VMware Fusion using an ISO
> file I downloaded. During the installation, it asked me to enter a
> user name and its password. I tried to enter root for the user name,
> but it would not let me do that. So I had to enter a non-root user name.
>
> So I did not have the root user name and password when the
> installation completed. I only had a non-privileged user name, and
> could not do any sudo work. How can I solve this problem?
>
> I noticed that CentOS 5 (not the 4.8 I needed to install) asking to
> enter the password for root during the installation. But I need to
> install CentOS 4.8, not 5.

All CentOS 4.x installations should ask for the root password during
installation. And the stupid question must be asked: Are you sure you
didn't enter a root password when thinking it was asking for a user
password? Try your user password on root and see what happens.

IIRC, the installation process is this:

1) Get base installation info including root password
2) Install system
3) Reboot
4) Perform post install setup including at least one user account

--
Bowie

Old 02-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Robert Heller

> Hi,
>
> I installed CentOS 4.8 (not CentOS 5) on VMware Fusion using an ISO file I
> downloaded. During the installation, it asked me to enter a user name and
> its password. I tried to enter root for the user name, but it would not let
> me do that. So I had to enter a non-root user name.
>
> So I did not have the root user name and password when the installation
> completed. I only had a non-privileged user name, and could not do any sudo
> work. How can I solve this problem?
>
> I noticed that CentOS 5 (not the 4.8 I needed to install) asking to enter
> the password for root during the installation. But I need to install CentOS
> 4.8, not 5.

CentOS 4's (including 4.8) installer should have ALSO asked for a root
password (just like CentOS 5's installer). Both systems use basically
the same installer.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:46 PM
"Y. K. Liu"

Thank you very much, David, for your help.

I found out that when I installed CentOS 4.8 on VMware Fusion, I should not have used the VMware default easy installation. When I unchecked the easy installation, it went through the questions, including setting the root password. So now I can set the root password during the installation.

Thank you again, anyway.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:49 PM
"Y. K. Liu"

Thank you, Robert and Bowie, for your help. The problem is resolved now (please see my previous email). Thank you, all, so much, anyway.

Jerry

Old 02-03-2011, 10:49 PM
"Dr. Ed Morbius"

on 14:46 Thu 03 Feb, Y. K. Liu (ykliu7@gmail.com) wrote:

> > I installed CentOS 4.8 (not CentOS 5) on VMware Fusion using an ISO file I
> > downloaded. During the installation, it asked me to enter a user name and
> > its password. I tried to enter root for the user name, but it would not let
> > me do that. So I had to enter a non-root user name.
> >
> > So I did not have the root user name and password when the installation
> > completed. I only had a non-privileged user name, and could not do any sudo
> > work. How can I solve this problem?
> >
> > I noticed that CentOS 5 (not the 4.8 I needed to install) asking to enter
> > the password for root during the installation. But I need to install CentOS
> > 4.8, not 5.

> Thank you very much, David, for your help.
>
> I found out that when I installed CentOS 4.8 on VMware Fusion, I should not
> have used the VMware default easy installation. When I unchecked the easy
> installation, it went through the questions, including setting the root
> password. So now I can set the root password during the installation.

Yep. VMWare's "easy" install does that.

Pick the "expert mode" and you'll get full prompts.

If you're installing multiple systems, it's very helpful to configure a
kickstart server.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius
Chief Scientist