Old 02-02-2011, 03:49 PM

Default Was, CentOS 6.0 alpha testers, is features (actually syslogd)

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 02/02/2011 04:20 PM, Matt wrote:
>> I am excited about CentOS 6.x though. Aren't there supposed to be
>> some neat new features etc for virtualization and cloud computing?
>
> this could be the start of a dangerously long thread nonrelated to OP.
> Why not start a new thread with 'CentOS-6 interesting upcoming features'

Ok, here's one: I'm having a problem with syslogd - due to the upper
heirarchy, we've started logging our (*yuck*) Windows servers to our
centralized logging server, and so far, the other admin hasn't managed to
make WinBlows less than maximum verbosity. I know I can do filtering with
syslog-ng and rsyslog, but 5.5 has syslogd. Now, I *thought* I heard one
or the other of those other two was coming in, but thought it would be in
CentOS 5.x; can anyone tell me a) if the change is coming, b) which of the
two it'll be, and c) will it be in 5.6 or 6?

mark

Old 02-05-2011, 03:44 PM
James Pearson

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> Ok, here's one: I'm having a problem with syslogd - due to the upper
> heirarchy, we've started logging our (*yuck*) Windows servers to our
> centralized logging server, and so far, the other admin hasn't managed to
> make WinBlows less than maximum verbosity. I know I can do filtering with
> syslog-ng and rsyslog, but 5.5 has syslogd. Now, I *thought* I heard one
> or the other of those other two was coming in, but thought it would be in
> CentOS 5.x; can anyone tell me a) if the change is coming, b) which of the
> two it'll be, and c) will it be in 5.6 or 6?

rsyslog is available with CentOS 5 - but not installed by default.

You can easily switch to rsyslog by doing:

yum install rsyslog
chkconfig syslog off
chkconfig rsyslog on
/etc/init.d/syslog stop
/etc/init.d/rsyslog start

The default rsyslog config should do that same as the default config
settings for syslog

I believe RHEL6/CentOS6 uses rsyslog by default

James Pearson

Old 02-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Luigi Rosa