-   -   CentOS 6.0 new virtualization features? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/484307-centos-6-0-new-virtualization-features.html)

Matt 02-02-2011 03:33 PM

CentOS 6.0 new virtualization features?

>> I am excited about CentOS 6.x though. *Aren't there supposed to be
>> some neat new features etc for virtualization and cloud computing?
>
> this could be the start of a dangerously long thread nonrelated to OP.
> Why not start a new thread with 'CentOS-6 interesting upcoming features' :)

Your right.

Karanbir Singh 02-02-2011 03:33 PM

On 02/02/2011 04:33 PM, Matt wrote:
>>> I am excited about CentOS 6.x though. Aren't there supposed to be
>>> some neat new features etc for virtualization and cloud computing?

There is a distinct shift towards KVM as the virt-platform of choice,
but I still feel the management tools around it are not quite 'there' as
yet. Having said that, its also mportant to point out that Xen isnt
going away. Its just that you would need to use CentOS-5 to host the
dom0, and you can still run DomU's on CentOS-6. So atleast some part of
the Xen is going away panic is unfounded.

- KB

Rudi Ahlers 02-02-2011 03:38 PM

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Matt <lm7812@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am excited about CentOS 6.x though. *Aren't there supposed to be
>>> some neat new features etc for virtualization and cloud computing?
>>
>> this could be the start of a dangerously long thread nonrelated to OP.
>> Why not start a new thread with 'CentOS-6 interesting upcoming features' :)
>
> Your right.

Yes, it's called KVM

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Tom Bishop 02-02-2011 03:45 PM

CentOS 6.0 new virtualization features?

Spot on KB, I like KVM but the management tools are just not quite there, unless your a big installation and can run RHEV on a windoze server.* I know they are moving towards an open source RHEV implementation but it appears that it will take awhile to get there.* I still plan to use KVM but will just manage with the cli or egads virt-manager for now for my small installations.

Akemi Yagi 02-02-2011 03:50 PM

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Tom Bishop <bishoptf@gmail.com> wrote:
> Spot on KB, I like KVM but the management tools are just not quite there,
> unless your a big installation and can run RHEV on a windoze server.* I know
> they are moving towards an open source RHEV implementation but it appears
> that it will take awhile to get there.* I still plan to use KVM but will
> just manage with the cli or egads virt-manager for now for my small
> installations.

>> There is a distinct shift towards KVM as the virt-platform of choice,
>> but I still feel the management tools around it are not quite 'there' as
>> yet.

Someone who is a "Former Red Hat Technical Support Engineer" started
helping in the CentOS forums yesterday. This post by him may be
relevant to the current thread:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=thread&topic_id=29961&forum =37&post_id=124965

Akemi