Old 02-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

Default Significant speedup of package building with mock from EPEL for RHEL 6, should definitely go in CentOS 5

The speedups in building RPM's with "mock" from the EPEL packages for
RHEL 6 are *profound*, especially if your environment is like mine and
you have thousands of user id's. The issue seems to be the handling of
"/var/log/lastlog" and similar files, which are otherwise quite large
and take significant time to compress and uncompress when laying out
new mock environments.

Karabhir, what are the odds of encouragng a switch to
http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora-epel/6/mock-1.1.8-1.el6.src.rpm, and
backporting it to centos/5/5/extras ? It's working very well for me,
and I think it would be a helpful improvement in RPM building for both
the CentOs 5.6 and CentOS 6 efforts.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Karanbir Singh

> Karabhir, what are the odds of encouragng a switch to
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora-epel/6/mock-1.1.8-1.el6.src.rpm, and
> backporting it to centos/5/5/extras ? It's working very well for me,
> and I think it would be a helpful improvement in RPM building for both
> the CentOs 5.6 and CentOS 6 efforts.

Performance isnt really a problem we need to solve on the
centos-buildsys side of things; however keeping things consistent is an
issue. Because of the way things have changed in mock >= 0.8 I'm
hesitant to change what we have in production for c3/4/5 since we know
it works and it works across the entire distro tree from 4.0 to 5.6

So having the choice of the newer mock in epel isnt a bad thing as such,
its just that the newer ver of mock isnt what is used internally within
centos.

Having said that, for centos6 we will almost certainly end up with a
newer mock, at the moment its 1.1.3 ( slightly modified and has a few
patches from 1.1.3+ ); but once we are ready to release we can bring in
a newer mock, do a few tests and have that in c6/extras.

- KB

Old 02-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 3:39 AM, JohnS <jses27@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 13:13 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> On 02/02/2011 01:01 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> > Karabhir, what are the odds of encouragng a switch to
>> > http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora-epel/6/mock-1.1.8-1.el6.src.rpm, and
>> > backporting it to centos/5/5/extras ? It's working very well for me,
>> > and I think it would be a helpful improvement in RPM building for both
>> > the CentOs 5.6 and CentOS 6 efforts.
>
> Hmmm: Nico
>
> The requested URL /fedora-epel/6/mock-1.1.8-1.el6.src.rpm was not found
> on this server.
>
> Maybe this:
>
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora-epel/6/SRPMS/mock-1.1.8-1.el6.src.rpm ?
>
> How many SRPMS have you built with it? *Do you use it under EL5?
>
> John

I just found a nasty bug. Hold off on using that.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 9:17 AM, JohnS <jses27@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 17:44 -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>
>> I just found a nasty bug. Hold off on using that.
>
> Share it a bz #?
>

> John

EPEL has a *nasty* habit of upgrading packages and not leaving the old
one behind for reversion or regression testing. It makes for leaner
distributions, but makes rolling back the upgrades more awkward, and
tracing back where the error was introduced more awkard. It's just
failing completely in my CentOS 5.5 instance, even with the the
"epel-5-x86_64.cfg" configuration. The problem seems to have crept in
with the most recent releases in epel-testing and the EPEL packages
for RHEL 6.

I'm also laughing pretty hard that the EPEL versions of mock point to
CentOS, not to the yum-rhn-plugin based access to RHEL repositories.