Old 02-02-2011, 02:41 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Default ~/.forward file?

>Any idea what it might be for?

Procmail...

Old 02-02-2011, 03:03 AM
Spook ZA

On 2 February 2011 05:41, Joseph L. Casale <jcasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:

> >Any idea what it might be for?
>
> Procmail...

If a mail message gets sent to the user with a .forward file, the
message will be forwarded to all email addresses in the .forward file.
Try Google for: unix mail .forward

Regards,
Andy.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:44 AM
Keith Roberts

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011, Smithies, Russell wrote:

> From: "Smithies, Russell" <Russell.Smithies@agresearch.co.nz>
> Subject: [CentOS] ~/.forward file?
>
> Hi all, I'm just poking thru our previous sysadmin's user
> adding script and saw reference to a ~/.forward file
> containing the users email address. Any idea what it might
> be for? It's a tricky one to Google ;-)

Hi Russell. So which user's email address are you talking
about? The email addy of the newly created account, or the
email address of the previous sys admin?

Regards,

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Old 02-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Spook ZA <spookza@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 February 2011 05:41, Joseph L. Casale <jcasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Any idea what it might be for?
>>
>> Procmail...
>>

> If a mail message gets sent to the user with a .forward file, the
> message will be forwarded to all email addresses in the .forward file.
> Try Google for: unix mail .forward

It's also useful for systems installed with sendmail and a
non-qualified hostname. Even if you have a "smarthost" set up in your
/etc/mail/sendmail.mc file, for such a host, the mail would still wind
up delivered locally. A .forward is a very useful way for a user to
set that mail to get passed along somewhere else. Using a ".forward"
is also built into the various "vacation" programs, and it's a good
way to set email for a former user to get bounced somewhere else.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:37 AM
Spiro Harvey

> I'm just poking thru our previous sysadmin's user adding script and
> saw reference to a ~/.forward file containing the users email
> address. Any idea what it might be for? It's a tricky one to
> Google ;-)

The ancient art of Google-fu takes many years to perfect.

But sometimes the most mundane conjurations are the most enlightening.

"what is a linux .forward file for" nets many good results, but they
are mostly discussions. For true enlightenment, however, the path is
the most difficult because it appears to be so outwardly easy:

".forward file"

--
Spiro Harvey Knossos Networks Ltd
(04) 460-2531 : (021) 295-1923 www.knossos.net.nz