Old 02-01-2011, 07:24 PM
"valent.turkovic@gmail.com"

Default CentOS 6.0 alpha testers

Hi guys,
who do I need to contact to become CentOS tester? When is first alpha
due for release and testing?

Cheers,
Valent.

--
follow me - www.twitter.com/valentt & http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com
linux, anime, spirituality, wireless, scuba, linuxmce smart home, zwave

Old 02-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Cia Watson

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 21:24:34 +0100
"valent.turkovic@gmail.com" <valent.turkovic@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> who do I need to contact to become CentOS tester? When is first alpha
> due for release and testing?

>From what I've been able to gather from the list, as I'm not part of the
dev testing team; there won't be an 'alpha' or 'beta', there will just be
a final release 'when it's ready'. We aren't sure when that will be, but
it will probably be within a few weeks after CentOS 5.6 is
released. CentOS 5.6 will likewise be released 'when it's ready' and we
don't know for sure when that will be, either. I would suspect that will
be by the end of the month (Feb 2011) but I'm really only guessing.

Cia W

Old 02-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 02/02/2011 04:00 PM, Cia Watson wrote:
>> From what I've been able to gather from the list, as I'm not part of the
> dev testing team; there won't be an 'alpha' or 'beta', there will just be
> a final release 'when it's ready'. We aren't sure when that will be, but
> it will probably be within a few weeks after CentOS 5.6 is

Thats spot on.

> released. CentOS 5.6 will likewise be released 'when it's ready' and we
> don't know for sure when that will be, either. I would suspect that will
> be by the end of the month (Feb 2011) but I'm really only guessing.

Just an update on that: I did the first 5.6 installs yesterday, there
are a few issues that still need resolving but i'd say this weekend the
distro should mostly be handed over to the QA guys, so we should see a
release by or before mid Feb. Ofcourse, this is based on no one finding
a 'blocker' issue in the process. So salt accordingly.

- KB

Old 02-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Matt

>>> From what I've been able to gather from the list, as I'm not part of the
>> dev testing team; there won't be an 'alpha' or 'beta', there will just be
>> a final release 'when it's ready'. We aren't sure when that will be, but
>> it will probably be within a few weeks after CentOS 5.6 is
>
> Thats spot on.
>
>> released. CentOS 5.6 will likewise be released 'when it's ready' and we
>> don't know for sure when that will be, either. I would suspect that will
>> be by the end of the month (Feb 2011) but I'm really only guessing.
>
> Just an update on that: I did the first 5.6 installs yesterday, there
> are a few issues that still need resolving but i'd say this weekend the
> distro should mostly be handed over to the QA guys, so we should see a
> release by or before mid Feb. Ofcourse, this is based on no one finding
> a 'blocker' issue in the process. So salt accordingly.

I would rather get it when its ready then get it when its not ready... ;-)

I am excited about CentOS 6.x though. Aren't there supposed to be
some neat new features etc for virtualization and cloud computing?

Old 02-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 02/02/2011 04:20 PM, Matt wrote:
> I am excited about CentOS 6.x though. Aren't there supposed to be
> some neat new features etc for virtualization and cloud computing?

this could be the start of a dangerously long thread nonrelated to OP.
Why not start a new thread with 'CentOS-6 interesting upcoming features'

- KB