Old 02-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Xinhuan Zheng

Default limiting yum url question

Hi,

*

I need to configure yum to limit the number of URLs going
out for security reason. I don’t find a configuration for include option.
I do find an exclude option in /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/fastestmirror.conf. It
would be impossible to exclude every url in this file. What is the best way to
limit the traffic going out interest for yum? Is the local network repository a
better way or does there exist an include option that I am not aware of?

*

Thanks,

*

--xinhuan

Old 02-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

AFAIK, you cannot "limit". You can set it to check only one mirror. Which
is not very clever or nice, so you should use your own repo. Apparently,
you have a few more machines. Then you should use a repo, anyway. It's
easily set up and filled with a nightly rsync. Reduces traffic quite a
bit.

Kai

Old 02-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Xinhuan Zheng

That's what I thought. Is there a good resource that I can take a look
for how to setting up a local repository server?

Thanks,

-xinhuan

Old 02-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

Xinhuan Zheng wrote on Tue, 1 Feb 2011 14:33:17 -0500:

> That's what I thought. Is there a good resource that I can take a look
> for how to setting up a local repository server?

The wiki on centos.org explains that if you want to setup your own
repository with your own packages. If you just want to mirror CentOS for
your network it's much easier. Just rsync down what you need and provide
that structure via http or ftp, and change the repo file accordingly.
That's all.

Kai