Old 02-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Yang Yang

Default centos 4.8 or centos 5.5 for server is great?

hi,i am new guy for linux world

i made a server (centos5.5* 8g ram** 300g*2 sas 15k* harddisc ),but some my friend use linux feveral years advise me use centos 4.8,he said it is much good than centos 5.5

it is trouble me ,is it newest is good than older?

please give me some advice

Thanks all

Old 02-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Kai Schaetzl

use centos 5, it's good.

Kai

Old 02-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Rob Kampen

Yang Yang wrote:

hi,i am new guy for linux world

i made a server (centos5.5 8g ram 300g*2 sas 15k harddisc ),but
some my friend use linux feveral years advise me use centos 4.8,he
said it is much good than centos 5.5

it is trouble me ,is it newest is good than older?

please give me some advice
The later version is better in most (practically ALL) respects. You only
use the older versions if they are already in place and need to support
old legacy software that will not run on the later kernel versions. One
of the wonderful things about CentOS and Red Hat is that when these
versions are released they are normally rock solid and then the added
bonus of patch security updates for many years.

Thanks all

Old 02-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Jerry McAllister

On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 11:54:40PM +0800, Yang Yang wrote:

> hi,i am new guy for linux world
>
> i made a server (centos5.5 8g ram 300g*2 sas 15k harddisc ),but some my
> friend use linux feveral years advise me use centos 4.8,he said it is much
> good than centos 5.5
>
> it is trouble me ,is it newest is good than older?
>
> please give me some advice

Sounds like you have a friend who has not learned much in several years.

Use CentOS 5.5 (or wait just a little while and use CentOS 6.0)

We have 5.5 on a room-full of important, must-be-up-all-the-time
servers with a variety of applications and have no problem with the OS.

We also have several OSen on many servers and probably like CentOS and
FreeBSD the best. The others (MS, SUN, proprietary UNIX) are used
only because some Dept bought some high-priced application that
requires them.

////jerry