Old 01-31-2011, 02:52 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default zfs experience

On 01/31/2011 03:13 PM, ann kok wrote:
> Hi
>
> Anyone is trying zfs in linux.
>
> Any experience can be shared

take this to a more relevant list.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:41 PM
Rudi Ahlers

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 01/31/2011 03:13 PM, ann kok wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Anyone is trying zfs in linux.
>>
>> Any experience can be shared
>
> take this to a more relevant list.

This is a "more relevant list", it's Linux.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 01-31-2011, 03:52 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

If this is a "discussion of any/all things that can be done on a Linux
system" list, yes.
Such vague questions as Ann Kok asks aren't "Support on CentOS"
questions.
CentOS and Linux are not the same.

I perceive KB desires to keep the help/chatter ratio above 1.

Ann should indulge us in stating what research she's done touching Linux
(better: CentOS) and ZFS, and what difficulty she's encountered trying
to utilize ZFS on a CentOS distribution. Otherwise this doesn't look
different from the "please do my homework" posts we've seen here.

/me

Old 01-31-2011, 03:54 PM
Karanbir Singh

Hi Rudi,

On 01/31/2011 04:41 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> take this to a more relevant list.
> This is a "more relevant list", it's Linux.

erm, no - this is the CentOS list. Not a generic linux list. And I'm
guessing most of the zfs interest isnt even Linux centric.

- KB

Old 01-31-2011, 04:08 PM
Rudi Ahlers

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Hi Rudi,
>
> On 01/31/2011 04:41 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>> take this to a more relevant list.
>> This is a "more relevant list", it's Linux.
>>

> erm, no - this is the CentOS list. Not a generic linux list. And I'm
> guessing most of the zfs interest isnt even Linux centric.
>
> - KB
'

He actually asked who has experience with ZFS on Linux. How more
centric do you want?

And, I guess there would be many people with the same interest, to see
how well ZFS performs on Linux, especially with the recent talks about
storage servers.

ZFS is a great file system, with many great features geared towards
RAID, reliability and scalability. But, you would need to run it in
fuse no user-space since it's not supported in the Linux kernel.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 01/31/2011 05:08 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> He actually asked who has experience with ZFS on Linux. How more
> centric do you want?

Reread the last email from me and from Brian. This is the CentOS list,
questions and comments on or about CentOS is whats considered ontop
here. Not generic Linux chatter. I dont see how one might further
clarify that.

- KB

Old 01-31-2011, 04:18 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Karanbir Singh<mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
>> Hi Rudi,

>>> This is a "more relevant list", it's Linux.
>>>

>> erm, no - this is the CentOS list. Not a generic linux list. And I'm
>> guessing most of the zfs interest isnt even Linux centric.
>>
>> - KB
>
> He actually asked who has experience with ZFS on Linux. How more
> centric do you want?
<snip>

please let KB spend his free time producing centos for us all, rather
than make him waste his time justifying his moderation of the ml...

Mon Jan 31 18:30:02 2011