Old 01-29-2011, 09:05 AM
Sanjay Arora

Default Amazon EC2 - building a minimal centOS ebs bootable image

Basically what Mathieu is wishing me luck for ;-)

I want to create a server which I can use while in development stage,
use as a main image, copy of which I can instantiate as a base image,
build a apache webserver app image or a qmail mail-server image or a
workgroup /db / crm image etc......upgrade to an upper instance when I
feel the micro instance is too tight a fit for the given use.

I don't have the resources to configure a dynamic ami to my specific
requirements everytime. I'd rather create various images, spend some
time everyday/week to update them, instantiate a copy of them whenever
I need....just so when I save that all updates, changes to
configuration etc. persist in that copy of instance.

At this stage, I am just creating my infrastructure, I don't need to
run any image 24 hours, just for the period I am working on it. A
static server would be the best bet but can't be as cost effective as
Amazon....and I am on a shoestring budget.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Sanjay Arora

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Sanjay Arora <sanjay.k.arora@gmail.com> wrote:
> Basically what Mathieu is wishing me luck for ;-)

Sorry, it was John!

Old 01-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Sanjay Arora

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 2:23 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> good luck with the persistence part in a cloud. *the whole idea of
> clouds is to distribute your services and separate them from the
> physical instances. * EC2 is *not* a replacement for a conventional
> static server.

Well, Data/OS Files have to be stored somewhere....EBS evolved to
serve that need...initially Amazon did not support booting off EBS but
now I think they do.

This creates an infrastructure for storing servers as well as EBS data
volumes. Servers can be updated with patches, hardened. Copy images
can be instantiated updated/upgraded and tested...etc.

Why do you say it is not a replacement for a conventional static
server...to me it seems it is better...though one will need to handle
lags/latencies in data access/persistence as storage is network
attached & not direct attached.

Maybe I will gain an insight here...can you please elaborate.

With best regards.
Sanjay.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Sanjay Arora

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 7:46 PM, Rainer Traut <tr.ml@gmx.de> wrote:

> To get an image into the cloud I did:
> - format a 10GiB file with ext3
> - install a minimal centos to it (yum with --installroot option)
> - put this into S3 as an AMI
> - start an instance of it
> - clone this to an EBS file with rsync
> - make a snapshot of this EBS
> - convert this snapshot to an EBS AMI
> - use your EBS instances...

Looking exactly for something like this...but more detailed. I have
slow dsl...so I would rather use somebody else's centos image to build
my own.

Have found many howtos but all seem to be for just for copying some
other ami and then reconfiguring it, or else they are too technical
for me to dive into.

Found one link http://jeevanullas.in/blog/2010/08/using-boxgrinder-to-build-your-own-ami-for-ec2/
which comes nearest to what I want, using a tool called boxgrinder.
I'd rather not handcode because I don't really understand the syntax
of initrd or grub...I'm more of a user and usually have a
tutorial/detailed howto that I follow.

Can anyone tell me about more tools or scripts, that can help automate
doing the steps required to build an ec2 ebs bootable instance....or a
howto for a dummy.....though I am googling each of Rainer's steps to
see if I can get better information individually than I could get on
the subject as a single detailed howto.

BTW, should't 2-3 gb be enough for a base minimal install as data
would/should go into a separate ebs volume?