Old 01-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Eero Volotinen

Default offsite encrypted backups?

Hi List,

Any idea for remote encrypted backup system? files must be encrypted
on local side ? duplicity? any better ideas?

--
Eero

Old 01-28-2011, 06:01 PM

Eero Volotinen wrote:

> Any idea for remote encrypted backup system? files must be encrypted
> on local side ? duplicity? any better ideas?

We do offline backups onto a LUKS encrypted disk, using rsync (he says,
looking to see if the one running has finished yet), then I put them in
the safe.... LUKS seems to work just fine, and is std. in the distro.

mark

Old 01-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Joshua Baker-LePain

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 at 8:51pm, Eero Volotinen wrote

> Any idea for remote encrypted backup system? files must be encrypted
> on local side ? duplicity? any better ideas?

Amanda <http://www.amanda.org/> can encrypt on the server or client side,
and can use ssh authentication as well.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin

Old 01-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Markus Falb

http://www.bacula.org/

--
Best Regards, Markus

Old 01-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Paul Heinlein

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011, Markus Falb wrote:

> On 28.1.2011 19:51, Eero Volotinen wrote:
>
>> Any idea for remote encrypted backup system? files must be
>> encrypted on local side ? duplicity? any better ideas?
>
> http://www.bacula.org/

Bacula can encrypt against two different X509 certificates, so you can
have per-host certs and a master certificate. (We keep a copy of the
latter in a secure location for disaster recovery.)

Local admins can thereby recover and decrypt files for their
machine(s), but not for other machines. Only folks trusted with access
to the master key can recover files from all machines.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Markus Falb

On 28.1.2011 20:24, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2011, Markus Falb wrote:

>> http://www.bacula.org/

> Bacula can encrypt against two different X509 certificates, so you can
> have per-host certs and a master certificate. (We keep a copy of the
> latter in a secure location for disaster recovery.)

It can encrypt against multiple certificates, not limited to two !

--
Best Regards, Markus

Old 01-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Peter Kjellström

On Friday, January 28, 2011 07:51:53 pm Eero Volotinen wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> Any idea for remote encrypted backup system? files must be encrypted
> on local side ? duplicity? any better ideas?

I use duplicity and like it.

/Peter