Old 01-27-2011, 02:06 PM
"Sorin Srbu"

Default Ext4 on CentOS 5.5 x64

Hi all,

For those of you that have been using the ext4 technology preview on CentOS
5.5, how has it panned out? Does it perform as expected? How do you feel the
stability, creation of the FS and the administration of it is? Ideas and
comments welcome.

Thanks.
--
BW,
Sorin

Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 PM
James Hogarth

On 27 January 2011 15:06, Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu@orgfarm.uu.se> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For those of you that have been using the ext4 technology preview on CentOS
> 5.5, how has it panned out? Does it perform as expected? How do you feel the
> stability, creation of the FS and the administration of it is? Ideas and
> comments welcome.

Well for what it's worth it worked out well enough for Redhat that it
is a fully supported filesystem in 5.6 and the default in 6.0... same
admin tools as ext3 so not much to learn as it were...

Old 01-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Rudi Ahlers

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 5:37 PM, James Hogarth <james.hogarth@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 January 2011 15:06, Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu@orgfarm.uu.se> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> For those of you that have been using the ext4 technology preview on CentOS
>> 5.5, how has it panned out? Does it perform as expected? How do you feel the
>> stability, creation of the FS and the administration of it is? Ideas and
>> comments welcome.
>>

> Well for what it's worth it worked out well enough for Redhat that it
> is a fully supported filesystem in 5.6 and the default in 6.0... same
> admin tools as ext3 so not much to learn as it were...

Is there an "upgrade" path, or do we need to reinstall completely ?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 01-27-2011, 03:08 PM
"compdoc"

>For those of you that have been using the ext4 technology preview on CentOS
5.5, how has it panned out? Does it perform as expected? How do you feel the
stability, creation of the FS and the administration of it is? Ideas and
comments welcome.

I've recently been using ext4 because I have servers with large(ish) storage
volumes, and because I know that the next version of centos will support it
better than 5.5.

I only use it for storage, where I use rsync to copy terabytes of data to
and from the servers.

It works fine - it's been set and forget so far. Very fast read/write
speeds.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Blake Hudson

>> For those of you that have been using the ext4 technology preview on CentOS
> 5.5, how has it panned out? Does it perform as expected? How do you feel the
> stability, creation of the FS and the administration of it is? Ideas and
> comments welcome.
>

> I've recently been using ext4 because I have servers with large(ish) storage
> volumes, and because I know that the next version of centos will support it
> better than 5.5.
>
> I only use it for storage, where I use rsync to copy terabytes of data to
> and from the servers.
>
> It works fine - it's been set and forget so far. Very fast read/write
> speeds.

I've been using it for the same purpose on a volume that is ~2.4TB,
rsyncing a few 100's of GB/day. Works better than tape. No issues so far
(maybe 6 months or so).

Old 01-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Jerry Franz

On 01/27/2011 07:37 AM, James Hogarth wrote:
> On 27 January 2011 15:06, Sorin Srbu<sorin.srbu@orgfarm.uu.se> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> For those of you that have been using the ext4 technology preview on CentOS
>> 5.5, how has it panned out? Does it perform as expected? How do you feel the
>> stability, creation of the FS and the administration of it is? Ideas and
>> comments welcome.
>>

> Well for what it's worth it worked out well enough for Redhat that it
> is a fully supported filesystem in 5.6 and the default in 6.0... same
> admin tools as ext3 so not much to learn as it were...

However, be very, ah, *cautious* about trying any ext4 options beyond
the RH defaults. I tried creating some with extents and other
non-default options yesterday and it immediately triggered kernel panics
when I tried to mount the resulting file systems. On the other side,
I've been running default ext4 options on CentOS5 on some machines for
years now with no hiccups at all.

--
Benjamin Franz

Old 01-28-2011, 06:51 AM
"Sorin Srbu"

Same story here. I'm building a new backup server from scratch (with no old
data on it), and while ext3 is nice and stable it's also pretty slow when we
start talking sevenish terabytes.

My main concern is all the writing on the interweb regarding running an fsck
and a tune2fs after having formatted the filesystem to ext4; some say you
should while some say it isn't necessary.
Anyway, I get a bad block message when running fsck, and am not sure
whether this is a interface problem between the chair and the monitor or
something with the tech preview.

--
/Sorin

Old 01-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Giuseppe Tanzilli - ServerPlan

Hi,

it works just fine for me, but there is no quota support in the 5.5
ext4 release

Giuseppe

Old 01-28-2011, 03:02 PM

Sorin Srbu wrote:
<snip>
> Anyway, I get a bad block message when running fsck, and am not sure
> whether this is a interface problem between the chair and the monitor or
> something with the tech preview.
<snip>

Having just live through this issue, I recommend you run
the extended (long) SMART test on all your drives and check
the reports. The relevant package to install is smartmontools.
It's worth investing a little time in setting up the package.
I ended up with this incantation in /etc/smartd.conf :

/dev/hda -T normal -p -a -o on -S on -s (S/../.././02|L/../../6/03) -m root@localhost

To execute the extended tests (doesn't mess with your data):
# smartctl --test=long /dev/hda

To view the test results about 80 minutes later:
# smartctl --log=selftest /dev/hda

and so on.
--
Charles Polisher

Old 01-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Les Mikesell

On 1/28/2011 10:02 AM, cpolish@surewest.net wrote:
> Sorin Srbu wrote:
> <snip>
>> Anyway, I get a bad block message when running fsck, and am not sure
>> whether this is a interface problem between the chair and the monitor or
>> something with the tech preview.
> <snip>
>
> Having just live through this issue, I recommend you run
> the extended (long) SMART test on all your drives and check
> the reports. The relevant package to install is smartmontools.
> It's worth investing a little time in setting up the package.
> I ended up with this incantation in /etc/smartd.conf :
>
> /dev/hda -T normal -p -a -o on -S on -s (S/../.././02|L/../../6/03) -m root@localhost
>
> To execute the extended tests (doesn't mess with your data):
> # smartctl --test=long /dev/hda
>
> To view the test results about 80 minutes later:
> # smartctl --log=selftest /dev/hda
>
> and so on.

Are there guidelines about what are reasonable results or will the
'Smart Health Status' tell you enough after the tests run?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com