Old 01-27-2011, 06:56 AM
John Hodrien

Default Recommendation for a Linux alternative to Centos - ATH9K disaster

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Always Learning wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation. Now I know why locate never usually worked
> for me - it hadn't updated.
>
> find is fast, especially when I restrict the search paths.

But locate is faster still, in all but the smallest of cases. I'd only tend
to use find if I had reason to think that changes had made the locate database
invalid. locate with a regexp is plain good and fast.

jh

Old 01-28-2011, 02:36 PM
John Hodrien

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011, Always Learning wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 14:50 +0000, John Hodrien wrote:
>
>> All configurable via /etc/updatedb.conf if your local needs differ.
>
> How does one remove it ?
>
> yum erase updated ?
>
> It is not present in any CRON.

If it's installed, it should have a cron job here:

/etc/cron.daily/mlocate.cron

The package is called mlocate, as has already been mentioned in this thread.

jh