Old 01-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Les Mikesell

Default how to unmount an NFS share when the NFS server is unavailable?

On 1/26/11 5:35 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Lorenzo Quatrini
> <lorenzo.quatrini@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Rudi Ahlers ha scritto:
>>> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Edo<ml2edwin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> How does one mount an NFS share, to avoid system timeouts when the
>>> remove NFS server is offline?
>>>
>> I would use a different approach: use autofs, then the share is mounted "on the
>> fly" only when needed, and unmounted after a while of not using it anymore.
>> Is this fine with your environment?
>>

> That won't really work. The NFS clients run cPanel and we need a way
> for end-users to have full access to their backups all the time. We
> used to run backup over FTP, but then when a client wanted to restore
> data one of the techs first had to download it from the backup server
> and then let the client restore it. So I'm trying to cut down on
> unnecessary support tasks.

I don't see why the automounter wouldn't work for this, but you can mount with
the soft,bg options to keep from hanging.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-27-2011, 06:05 AM
John R Pierce

On 01/26/11 10:57 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> BackupPC doesn't intergrate into cPanel.

cpanel is pure crap.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Les Mikesell

On 1/27/11 12:57 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

>> Actually, since the original question involved access to backups, I
>> should have given my usual answer which is that backuppc is the thing to
>> use for backups and it provides a web interface for restores (you pick
>> the historical version you want and either tell it to put it back to the
>> original host or you can download a tarball through the browser). Very
>> nice for self-serve access. It does want to map complete hosts to
>> owners that have permission to access them but with a little work you
>> make different areas of a shared system look like separate hosts.
>>

> BackupPC doesn't intergrate into cPanel.

Why does it have to integrate? It runs on a different machine. Can't you make a
remote apache authenticate the same way as a cpanel user would to access its web
interface?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-27-2011, 02:05 PM

Always Learning wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 23:05 -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
>
>> cpanel is pure crap.
>
> It is a ghastly and frustrating nightmare. Command line, even for a
> Linux beginner like me, is far superior. It is amazing that people pay
> lots of money to use it.

It may be crap, but a) I haven't seen any ISPs that offer shell access for
the better part of a decade, at least, and b) consider the enTHUsistic
folks who build so many websites who have no clue about computers,
security, and get the cooties if they were to see a command line.

*shrug* I live with it from my hosting provider. But then, I do everything
on my own system (CentOS, of course), and hardly do more with cPanel than
I would/could with Ye Olde Ftp.

mark

Old 01-27-2011, 02:41 PM

Stephen Harris wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 10:05:35AM -0500, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> It may be crap, but a) I haven't seen any ISPs that offer shell access
>> for
>> the better part of a decade, at least, and b) consider the enTHUsistic
>
> www.panix.com - Your $HOME away from home.
>
> Of course many people who want shell access just get their own VMs now
> (eg linode, Panix v-colo).

*shrug*. I've got paid-up hosting with bluehost/hostmonster. It's cheap,
I've had very few problems, and it's not like I've got a big, high traffic
site.

mark "and I do everything on my own system, anyway"

Old 01-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Les Mikesell

On 1/27/2011 7:30 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

>>> BackupPC doesn't intergrate into cPanel.
>>
>> Why does it have to integrate? It runs on a different machine. Can't you make a
>> remote apache authenticate the same way as a cpanel user would to access its web
>> interface?
>>

> Sorry, I should have explained. cPanel is a web based control panel
> which allows end users to control every aspect of their domain (Web,
> stats, mail, files, databases, logs, DNS, etc) including backups.
>
> It currently backs up everything over FTP, and works fairly well but
> when a user wants to restore a broken website one of our techs needs
> to download the backup from the FTP server, to the cPanel server and
> then restore it on the client's behalf.
>
> Thus, mounting the NFS share basically added enough storage to the
> cPanel todo the backups "locally", and then the users can restore the
> backups themselves by logging into cPanel. i.e. all the necessary
> security checks are performed automatically.

If you are going this route, the obvious thing would be to make the
automounter mount the user's copy into his own space when/if he accesses
it and unmount the rest of the time.

> But, If we use something like backupPC, then each user will need to be
> created on the BackupPC server (which will be a nightmare)

It's not that complicated. You only need an authentication method that
would set apache's REMOTE_USER which probably already exists on the
server and wouldn't be hard to copy elsewhere in whatever way it works
now - or you can run the server locally with nfs-mounted storage.

> and he then
> has to download the backup to his own PC first (some sites are several
> GB's, into the 10's of GB's), which then means the backup will take
> ages to restore.

No, downloading from the browser is an option, but the server can also
put files back directly over the same transport that was used for the
backup. The only issue that might be a problem would be controlling
where each user could restore to. Typically each target host has an
'owner' and access to the web side is limited to the hosts you own - and
you can map subdirectory targets to look like separate hosts. But when
you restore, the commands run as the backuppc user which would typically
have full root ssh access to the whole target host. There's probably
some way to work around this - maybe using the ftp transport and
controlling where the logins can go.

Anyway the big advantage of backuppc is that all identical files are
pooled so you can keep a much longer history on line.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com