Old 01-26-2011, 09:12 AM
James Bensley

Default Basic Permissions Questions

Hi List

So, I have a folder1, its owner is user1 who has r+w on the folder.
User2 is the group owner who only has read access (when I say user2, I
mean the group called user2, because when you make a new user the OS
can make them their own group). You can see these permissions below:

[user2@host test]$ ls -l
drw-r----- 3 user1 user2 28 Nov 2 16:17 folder1

How ever user2 can not 'cd' into this directory, and gets the
following out put form 'ls -l folder1'

[user2@host test]$ ls -l folder1/
total 0
?--------- ? ? ? ? ? sub-folder

And the sub-folder name is written in white text flashing on a red
background. So, it seems to me that there is some permissions problems
here. What permissions are required on the group settings to allow a
group user to browser folder1 and its sub folders and read the files
in side if it isn't 'r' ?

**Note: I have used sudo to replicate permissions through the directy structure:

[user2@host test]$ sudo ls -l folder1/
drw-r----- 2 user1 user2 4096 Jan 24 06:49 sub-folder

James.

http://www.jamesbensley.co.cc/

There are 10 kinds of people in the world; Those who understand
Vigesimal, and J others...?

Old 01-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Rafa Griman

Hi

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:12 AM, James Bensley <jwbensley@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi List
>
> So, I have a folder1, its owner is user1 who has r+w on the folder.
> User2 is the group owner who only has read access (when I say user2, I
> mean the group called user2, because when you make a new user the OS
> can make them their own group). You can see these permissions below:
>
> [user2@host test]$ ls -l
> drw-r----- *3 user1 * *user2 * 28 Nov *2 16:17 folder1
>
> How ever user2 can not 'cd' into this directory, and gets the
> following out put form 'ls -l folder1'
>
> [user2@host test]$ ls -l folder1/
> total 0
> ?--------- ? ? ? ? * * * * * *? sub-folder
>
> And the sub-folder name is written in white text flashing on a red
> background. So, it seems to me that there is some permissions problems
> here. What permissions are required on the group settings to allow a
> group user to browser folder1 and its sub folders and read the files
> in side if it isn't 'r' ?
>
> **Note: I have used sudo to replicate permissions through the directy structure:
>
> [user2@host test]$ sudo ls -l folder1/
> drw-r----- 2 user1 user2 4096 Jan 24 06:49 sub-folder

Directories should have +x permissions. Do a:

chmod 0750 /directory

And see what happens.

HTH

Rafa

Old 01-26-2011, 09:31 AM
James Bensley

On 26 January 2011 10:17, Rafa Griman <rafagriman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Directories should have +x permissions. Do a:
>
> chmod * *0750 * */directory
>
> And see what happens.

Hi Rafa, like a fool I sent that email and then worked this out
shortly after

Still, if I hadn't your response was quick so I wouldn't have been
waiting long. This leads me onto a new question though;

If user1 writes a file in folder1 will user2 be made the default group
owner, is there a way of enforcing this and with the required
privileges (r for files, rx for directories?).

User1 accesses folder1 over smb so I could set up a create mask but
other folders accessed by users1 not via smb (ssh, rsync etc) I still
want user2 to have read only access. Can you implement smb style
create masks at a file system level?