Old 01-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Keith Keller

Default kickstart and grub parameters

Hey list,

I recently started working with kickstart. It is awesome! I really had
no idea how easy it would be to use.

I do have one strange issue, that's really not that important, but that
I'd like to figure out. I like to watch all the kernel boot messages go
by in text mode by default, and when I've set up a box in the past, I've
modified grub's menu.lst file to remove all the GUI components of the
boot. But when I try this from a kickstart-installed box, either from a
%post section or manually, I still get (mostly) the GUI boot process.

Here's my relevant menu.lst exerpts: first, the one working the way I
like:

#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
#splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.18-194.11.4.el5)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-194.11.4.el5 ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-194.11.4.el5.img

Then, the one not behaving the way I expect:

#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=5
#splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.18-53.el5)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-53.el5 ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-53.el5.img

I'm not sure why they're behaving differently; AFAICT the two are the
same modulo the kernel version. Any suggestions for what I can look at
next?

--keith

--
kkeller@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us

Old 01-25-2011, 11:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Keith Keller wrote on Tue, 25 Jan 2011 14:05:01 -0800:

> grub's menu.lst

sure, you don't mean grub.conf? grub.conf seems to be the "official" conf.
menu.lst used to be that in the past and is now only a symlink. If you
have both a menu.lst and a grub.conf file that are different ... this
would explain your problem.
Also, I wonder if you really want to comment *out* hiddenmenu?

Kai

Old 01-26-2011, 02:30 AM
Keith Keller

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 01:31:17AM +0100, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Keith Keller wrote on Tue, 25 Jan 2011 14:05:01 -0800:
>
> > grub's menu.lst
>
> sure, you don't mean grub.conf? grub.conf seems to be the "official" conf.

A-ha! Yes, you are indeed correct. I suspect that my kickstart %post
section removed the symlink and created a new menu.lst file, whereas on my
other system menu.lst is still a symlink because I never attempted to
mangle it. (I used a perl one-liner to modify menu.lst, and I've tested
that perl -pi does remove a symlink to make a new file.)

> Also, I wonder if you really want to comment *out* hiddenmenu?

Yep. I really like to see everything!

Thanks for the pointer--I will be sure to use grub.conf in the future.

--keith

--
kkeller@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us