Old 01-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Gene Brandt

Default Recommendation for a Linux alternative to Centos - ATH9K disaster

Chiming in I find CentOs VERY stable. I need this for my User community (Wife and Daughter) It has to look and work the same always. For the new people to Linux I've noted that NT admins can very easily install ubuntu and get it running (for awhile). From what I remember it had a Windozie feel. Coming from the Solaris, AIX, and HP world I prefer stability.*

--

Thanks,

Gene Brandt SCSA

8625 Carriage Road

River Ridge, LA 70123

home 504-737-4295

cell 504-452-3250

Family Web Page* |* My Web Page* | LinkedIn* | Facebook* |* Resumebucket

On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 19:20 +0000, Always Learning wrote:

Mark Roth wrote:

> You do understand the relationship of CentOS to RHEL, right?

Right :-)

Once upon a time Red Hat was free. Then they decided to exist purely on
support fees. Meanwhile a bunch of supporters invented a downstream
variant called Centos. They worked very hard to remove all the Red Hat
branding and recompile (is that the correct Linux term?) the software.
There was so ugly goings on which were publicised but eventually
resolved. The other downstream variant is called Scientific Linux and
that is a joint collaboration between Europe's CERN and it's USA
equivalent Fermilab.

Then one day a big bad wolf called Oracle of very expensive Oracle SQL
fame swallowed Red Hat, like they swallowed MySQL, Solaris, Open Office
and Visual Box. The long term future for these is uncertain.

Pure Centos is identical to Red Hat. However various repositories offer
extras and variants which make the installed Centos slightly different
from Red Hat. One can sometimes install some Fedora items into Centos.

Centos is great.

Will that do ?

Old 01-26-2011, 02:55 AM
Always Learning

On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 14:25 -0800, Benjamin Smith wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:20:34 am Always Learning wrote:
> > Then one day a big bad wolf called Oracle of very expensive Oracle SQL
> > fame swallowed Red Hat, like they swallowed MySQL, Solaris, Open Office
> > and Visual Box. The long term future for these is uncertain.
>
> Whaaa...? Facts would seem otherwise.... Here's an article from just a few
> months ago!
>
> http://www.glgroup.com/News/Oracle-to-Red-Hat--Its-Not-Your-Fathers-Linux-
> Market-Anymore-51058.html

Thank you. Happily I got the 'swallowed Red Hat' wrong. Sadly the long
term future for Red Hat, MySQL, Open Office and Visual Box is certainly
uncertain.

I've seen the changes in the computer world first-hand for 43 years
staring when there were no screens, no keyboards and no disks although
one installation, a KDF9, did have a magnetic drum. Everything changes.
Computer companies and software change, evolve and then eventually
disappear. It's 'computer evolution'.

What is noticeable is the vast number of organisations failing to use
computers properly - not extracting the maximum benefit from their
computer systems and running incompatible systems which can not exchange
basic data. In the UK in 2011 A.D. local authorities (councils) and the
territorial police forces operate this way. Despite vast computer
budgets, and a supporting bureaucracy which includes computer managers
lacking any of the skills possessed by participants on this mailing
list, important decisions appear to be made by morons usually assisted
by consultants whose shinny shoes and expensive suits are much more
conspicuous than technical acumen.

Gone are the days when an in-house team of programmers and analysts
would design and code customised programmes that fully satisfied the
business needs of the organisations. The intelligence services and
scientific research are exceptions. In the commercial sphere it is M$
and Oracle applications (especially Oracle Financials) plus proprietary
software from third parties. The number of 'computer experts' that know
only how to press the correct key in a M$ application yet lack any
appreciation of how computer systems work or the logic behind them is
increasing.

Linux, the BSDs and Solaris continue the good tradition of 'real'
computing while expensive Apple demonstrates how good Windoze could be
if M$ really tried.

Will we one day be dependent on open source Chinese Linux if Western
open source Linux dries-up ?

--

With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:27 AM
Christopher Chan

On Wednesday, January 26, 2011 11:55 AM, Always Learning wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 14:25 -0800, Benjamin Smith wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:20:34 am Always Learning wrote:
>>> Then one day a big bad wolf called Oracle of very expensive Oracle SQL
>>> fame swallowed Red Hat, like they swallowed MySQL, Solaris, Open Office
>>> and Visual Box. The long term future for these is uncertain.
>>
>> Whaaa...? Facts would seem otherwise.... Here's an article from just a few
>> months ago!
>>
>> http://www.glgroup.com/News/Oracle-to-Red-Hat--Its-Not-Your-Fathers-Linux-
>> Market-Anymore-51058.html
>
> Thank you. Happily I got the 'swallowed Red Hat' wrong. Sadly the long
> term future for Red Hat, MySQL, Open Office and Visual Box is certainly
> uncertain.

Ah, I get your drift! Illumos and OpenIndiana is the way to go!

> Will we one day be dependent on open source Chinese Linux if Western
> open source Linux dries-up ?

???

Surely you mean stuff from the rising sun Illumos and OpenIndiana!

Old 01-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Always Learning

On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 18:44 +1100, Les Bell wrote:

> Paul, if you want a basic explanation of the rationale behind the Linux
> Filesystem Hierarchy Standard, you might enjoy this article from a course I
> wrote years ago - it's a little dated, but still applicable today.
>
> http://www.lesbell.com.au/Home.nsf/web/What+Goes+Where+on+a+Linux+System?OpenDocument

Thanks Les. Am reading it now.

Although one does learn a lot by experimentation and intuition, there
are always elements one misses which are essential to a good
understanding of the subject.

--

With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Always Learning

On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 16:36 +0100, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:

> yes it is: /etc/cron.daily/mlocate.cron

No trace. That is probably why it never worked for me.

With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.