Old 01-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Always Learning

Default Recommendation for a Linux alternative to Centos - ATH9K disaster

Mark Roth wrote:

> You do understand the relationship of CentOS to RHEL, right?

Right :-)

Once upon a time Red Hat was free. Then they decided to exist purely on
support fees. Meanwhile a bunch of supporters invented a downstream
variant called Centos. They worked very hard to remove all the Red Hat
branding and recompile (is that the correct Linux term?) the software.
There was so ugly goings on which were publicised but eventually
resolved. The other downstream variant is called Scientific Linux and
that is a joint collaboration between Europe's CERN and it's USA
equivalent Fermilab.

Then one day a big bad wolf called Oracle of very expensive Oracle SQL
fame swallowed Red Hat, like they swallowed MySQL, Solaris, Open Office
and Visual Box. The long term future for these is uncertain.

Pure Centos is identical to Red Hat. However various repositories offer
extras and variants which make the installed Centos slightly different
from Red Hat. One can sometimes install some Fedora items into Centos.

Centos is great.

Will that do ?

--

With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Robert Heller

> Always Learning wrote:
> > Mark Roth wrote:
> >
> >> You do understand the relationship of CentOS to RHEL, right?
> >
> > Right :-)
> >
> > Once upon a time Red Hat was free. Then they decided to exist purely on
>
> Actually, you were supposed to buy the CDs, which I did (I really suppose
> I can get rid of my 5.2, 6, 7, 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3 CDs.... <g>). They
> weren't expensive. However, after 9 (shrike), they'd already become the
> distro of choice for business use in the US (it was SuSE in Europe), and
> they rebranded their main branch "Red Hat Enterprise Linux", to make PHB's
> feel warm and fuzzy.
>
> > support fees. Meanwhile a bunch of supporters invented a downstream
> > variant called Centos. They worked very hard to remove all the Red Hat
> > branding and recompile (is that the correct Linux term?) the software.
>
> Yes, you compile *real* software <g>. My description is they file off the
> serial numbers (and remove the proprietary stuff), then rebuild the whole
> shebang.
>
> > There was so ugly goings on which were publicised but eventually
> > resolved. The other downstream variant is called Scientific Linux and
> > that is a joint collaboration between Europe's CERN and it's USA
> > equivalent Fermilab.
>
> No, Fermilab and ->its<-* equivalent, CERN.
> >
> > Then one day a big bad wolf called Oracle of very expensive Oracle SQL
> > fame swallowed Red Hat, like they swallowed MySQL, Solaris, Open Office
> > and Visual Box. The long term future for these is uncertain.
>
> Um, no, not sure where you got that. Oracle bought a license, or
> something, from RH, and rebranded it, with changes as a VAR, Oracle
> Unbreakable Linux. RH is still its* company, not owned by Oracle in any
> way.

Right. Oracle bought *Sun Microsystems*. (Sun Microsystems had come
onto 'hard times'.) Sun Microsystems owned the Solaris O/S (originally
SunOS), and provided the major support for MySQL and Open Office. Now
Oracle owns the Solaris O/S and is in the position of providing major
support for MySQL and Open Office. Since MySQL is a nominal Open
Source 'competitor' of Oracle's (closed source) DB, it is uncertain
what Oracle will do with MySQL (or what the MySQL developers will do,
etc.). Oracle's owner is just as much anti-Microsoft as the former
owner/founder of Sun Microsystems, so it is likely that Oracle will
continue to support Open Office (if only as a anti-Microsoft gesture).

Old 01-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Always Learning

On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 16:01 -0500, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> processing power of a mid-nineties Cray supercomputer... and they run like
> an 8088 (ok, maybe an 80286), just for all the eye candy: style, not
> content.

Give me the good old 6502 any day and its mainframe predecessor with a
36 bit word which was 4 Ascii or 6 BCD characters.

--

With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:41 AM
Barry Brimer

Quoting Always Learning <centos@g7.u22.net>:

> On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 13:12 -0500, Robert Heller wrote:

> wrote:
>
> > > Anyone any idea what kernel version Centos 6 will have ?

My RHEL 6 machine (fully updated) has kernel 2.6.32-71.14.1.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:49 AM
Always Learning

On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 13:46 -0500, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> Always Learning wrote:
> <snip>
> > Thanks for the Ubuntu recommendation. I tend to buy the DVD's and
> > install from them. I have VBox running Win98SE on a Centos desktop
> > because I want to run software and applications from 1992 (my own DOS
> > Cobol database) which also runs in DosBox, 1993 (my customised Ami Pro
>
> Why not install gcc, and recompile your COBOL for Linux? <g>
> <snip>
>
> mark, pulling a brown paper bag over his head before admitting
> to having written a *lot* of COBOL back before I got to
> Unix

Years ago, before I discovered PHP, I might have.

Cobol was the second language I leaned in 1967 from a hardware
manufacturer's tutor who didn't have a clue. The first was Easycoder (an
assembler type) which I loved.

Having used Cobol for 30+ years and remembering it with some affection
and also remembering a Schiphol airport programmer's 15 page compound IF
statement (Hallo Hans! 60 coding lines a page; GO TO was banned) it is a
bit long-winded. These days I prefer PHP with the fast MySQL databases.

--

With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:29 AM
John R Pierce

On 01/25/11 8:49 PM, Always Learning wrote:
> Cobol was the second language I leaned in 1967 from a hardware
> manufacturer's tutor who didn't have a clue. The first was Easycoder (an
> assembler type) which I loved.

do you mean autocoder? that was the 'assembler' on the IBM 1400 series

Old 01-26-2011, 04:29 AM
Christopher Chan

On Wednesday, January 26, 2011 12:41 PM, Barry Brimer wrote:
> Quoting Always Learning<centos@g7.u22.net>:

> My RHEL 6 machine (fully updated) has kernel 2.6.32-71.14.1.

Alright, that's it, I want Centos 6 now!

Old 01-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Always Learning

On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 15:36 +0000, John Hodrien wrote:

> If it's installed, it should have a cron job here:
>
> /etc/cron.daily/mlocate.cron
>
> The package is called mlocate, as has already been mentioned in this thread.

Appears not to have been installed. No trace of anything in /var/lib
either.

With best regards,

Paul.
England,