Old 01-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Always Learning

Default Recommendation for a Linux alternative to Centos - ATH9K disaster

Mark wrote:-

> About 5 years ago, I had to install a wireless card in my tower, and it's
> an ATH9xx, I *think* - I can check this evening, if that's relevant. I was
> running SuSE, and had to find drivers from madwifi. A few minutes of
> googling found...
> <http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k/RHEL5>, where the
> module's been backported to RHEL5.

Golly !

I'm a Linux novice (started last June). Can I literally install one of
those rpm on the laptop and that should, hopefully, cure everything ?

Thank you very much. I would prefer a Centos solution and then
everything is the same O/S and simpler to maintain.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Paul
GB.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Always Learning

Jerry Franz wrote:

> For a new laptop your best hope for a successful native install is
> probably Ubuntu 10.10. Laptops in particular are difficult platforms for
> hardware support and CentOS5 is not 'cutting edge'. If you want CentOS
> on it to work well, you will probably need to wait for CentOS6 - which
> could be a month or two.

I'm eagerly waiting for Centos 6. Is so refreshingly nice to use a real
computer operating system. It reminds me of the good old mainframe days
long before MS-DOS 1.

Thank you for the recommendation. I'll have a look at Ubuntu.

Mark suggested http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k/RHEL5
which might solve the problem and produce a working Centos wifi.

Centos is not 'cutting-edge'. It's just solid, reliable, plain boring
and just works. Everything a good computer system should be.

> An alternative I've used is to install VMware Workstation on top of
> Windows and install Linux into a VM. Running fullscreen the practical
> difference is nil. Then you by and large get the laptop hardware support
> gratis from the windows layer including things like wireless and video
> drivers drivers.

I'll keep that as a back-up option.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Paul.
GB.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Always Learning

Brian Mathis wrote:

> CentOS is great for servers,

I agree. I have 2 VPS and two desktop servers on it.

> but absolutely not for a new person
> you're trying to get to try Linux. This approach actually hurts Linux
> since people think "oh I tried Linux and it sucked".

The only thing that 'sucks' is M$ Windoze. M$ is declining. It is time
the European Commission breaks the Windoze on every new computer cartel.
With 43 years computer experience I loath Windoze and the horrible
experience of trying to make what should be a very simple configuration
change. Most of the world uses Linux.

I started as a new Linux user with Centos and it was a very step
learning curve but I persevered and benefited from the experience.

> Ubuntu is the way to go for this, and I would at least start from a
> LiveCD (though it is slow) and work from there. VirtualBox is a good
> next step from the LiveCD, as almost no one wants to be dual-booting.

Thanks for the Ubuntu recommendation. I tend to buy the DVD's and
install from them. I have VBox running Win98SE on a Centos desktop
because I want to run software and applications from 1992 (my own DOS
Cobol database) which also runs in DosBox, 1993 (my customised Ami Pro
3) and 1999 (Acrobat Exchange 4) easier than PDFedit.

With best regards,

Paul.
GB.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Les Mikesell

On 1/25/2011 12:18 PM, Always Learning wrote:

>> An alternative I've used is to install VMware Workstation on top of
>> Windows and install Linux into a VM. Running fullscreen the practical
>> difference is nil. Then you by and large get the laptop hardware support
>> gratis from the windows layer including things like wireless and video
>> drivers drivers.
>
> I'll keep that as a back-up option.

I've forgotten how I did it now (and searching for a current reference
would be better anyway) but my laptop has a bootable ubuntu partition
(because Centos didn't see the wireless card) that I can also run under
vmware player without rebooting. And I also have a Centos VM in an
image file. The VMs use NAT networking and piggyback on whatever
connect the host has.

I think I installed vmware server to configure things, then removed it
and installed player, but that might not be necessary with the current
version of player.

I don't think you can match windows sleep mode on Centos - not sure
about current Ubuntu. I normally just close the lid with applications
open, and when I open it again it wakes up in seconds and adapts to the
current network connection.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-25-2011, 06:45 PM

Always Learning wrote:
> Mark Roth wrote:
>
>> You do understand the relationship of CentOS to RHEL, right?
>
> Right :-)
>
> Once upon a time Red Hat was free. Then they decided to exist purely on

Actually, you were supposed to buy the CDs, which I did (I really suppose
I can get rid of my 5.2, 6, 7, 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3 CDs.... <g>). They
weren't expensive. However, after 9 (shrike), they'd already become the
distro of choice for business use in the US (it was SuSE in Europe), and
they rebranded their main branch "Red Hat Enterprise Linux", to make PHB's
feel warm and fuzzy.

> support fees. Meanwhile a bunch of supporters invented a downstream
> variant called Centos. They worked very hard to remove all the Red Hat
> branding and recompile (is that the correct Linux term?) the software.

Yes, you compile *real* software <g>. My description is they file off the
serial numbers (and remove the proprietary stuff), then rebuild the whole
shebang.

> There was so ugly goings on which were publicised but eventually
> resolved. The other downstream variant is called Scientific Linux and
> that is a joint collaboration between Europe's CERN and it's USA
> equivalent Fermilab.

No, Fermilab and ->its<-* equivalent, CERN.

> Then one day a big bad wolf called Oracle of very expensive Oracle SQL
> fame swallowed Red Hat, like they swallowed MySQL, Solaris, Open Office
> and Visual Box. The long term future for these is uncertain.

Um, no, not sure where you got that. Oracle bought a license, or
something, from RH, and rebranded it, with changes as a VAR, Oracle
Unbreakable Linux. RH is still its* company, not owned by Oracle in any
way.

> Pure Centos is identical to Red Hat. However various repositories offer
> extras and variants which make the installed Centos slightly different
> from Red Hat. One can sometimes install some Fedora items into Centos.

Yup on the latter, but mostly older fedora, which is bleeding edge.
<snip>
mark

* These notes brought to you in behalf of the Professional Organization of
English Majors, who want to remind you that it's == it is, and is not the
possessive whatchamacallit, "its", as in it's got a shoe on its foot.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Gene Brandt

Where did I say that!

"From what I remember it had a Windozie feel"

In MY opinion ( only an opinion) Winblows will never be stable.

--

Thanks,

Gene Brandt SCSA

8625 Carriage Road

River Ridge, LA 70123

home 504-737-4295

cell 504-452-3250

Family Web Page* |* My Web Page* | LinkedIn* | Facebook* |* Resumebucket

On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 15:04 -0500, Brian Mathis wrote:

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Gene Brandt <brandtg@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Chiming in I find CentOs VERY stable. I need this for my User community (Wife and Daughter) It has to look and work the same always. For the new people to Linux I've noted that NT admins can very easily install ubuntu and get it running (for awhile). From what I remember it had a Windozie feel. Coming from the Solaris, AIX, and HP world I prefer stability.
> --
> Thanks,
> Gene Brandt SCSA

I need to call you on this one. "Windozie" (implying some kind of
decent user interface) and "stability" are not mutually exclusive, as
your comment suggests. In the old days you may have had to choose,
but that's long past. Windows 7 is very stable, as is Mac OS X.

This is the type of false dichotomy that a certain US-based news
network (rhymes with Blox Fews) uses to misinform a naive public.
Please don't bring that kind of "logic" into tech discussions.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:20 PM
"compdoc"

Any version of Windows is stable - its only when ppl start adding the pretty
butterfly screen savers, or open email attachments that things go wrong.

It is very vulnerable, especially IE, but with a little education,
preventive steps, and decent backups, the majority of businesses in the
world that use it manage fine..

Old 01-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Don Krause

Windows CAN be plenty stable... I used a very stable windows box just like this one this morning!

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19991001

--
Don Krause

"This message represents the official view of the voices in my head."

Old 01-25-2011, 07:33 PM
"compdoc"

I do IT for local businesses in Denver. I build workstations and servers, do
hardware upgrades, networking, VPNs, firewalls, virtual machines - anything
a business might need. Windows and linux.

Any tech worth his salt will have learned how windows works and how to
repair it. It is possible to repair.

Same is true of any Linux technician.

My first 'real' computer was a Fat Mac, so I still love a good GUI. And
Windows has a nice GUI.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Benjamin Smith

On Tuesday, January 25, 2011 01:45:34 pm Always Learning wrote:
> Give me the good old 6502 any day and its mainframe predecessor with a
> 36 bit word which was 4 Ascii or 6 BCD characters.

http://www.6502.org/tools/emu/

Done?

believed to be clean.