Old 01-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Rob Kampen

Default Recommendation for a Linux alternative to Centos - ATH9K disaster

Max Hetrick wrote:

On 01/25/2011 03:04 PM, Brian Mathis wrote:

I need to call you on this one. "Windozie" (implying some kind of
decent user interface) and "stability" are not mutually exclusive, as
your comment suggests. In the old days you may have had to choose,
but that's long past. Windows 7 is very stable, as is Mac OS X.

This is the type of false dichotomy that a certain US-based news
network (rhymes with Blox Fews) uses to misinform a naive public.
Please don't bring that kind of "logic" into tech discussions.

I have to agree here as well. Too many times do I see people just
blasting other operating systems for these reasons. I'd even go as far
as argue that Windows XP is stable too, so long as it's managed,
administered, and setup securely and correctly.

So what happens when one does the monthly tuesday patches for windoze
and your security door controller running on SQLserver (micro$oft)
fails. Back out all the patches - inform micro$oft - wait - wait some
more - never get a response - call the security software vendor - aware
of patch problem - no fix planned - buy the newest version. All this on
a stable windoze XP prof. Dell box. $$$$ that's all that matters.
I don't notice any more crashes on the Ubuntu systems I have set up,
compared to those of CentOS/RHEL, or to even Windows XP and 7 systems.
And I administer all of the above in the same network. People mix these
perceptions up all to frequently, or personally because I simply believe
they like to bash other operating systems that they don't like or want
to use.

Just my 0.02 cents.

Regards,
Max

Old 01-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Mark

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:45 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
:
> * These notes brought to you in behalf of the Professional Organization of
> English Majors, who want to remind you that it's == it is, and is not the
> possessive whatchamacallit, "its", as in it's got a shoe on its foot.

So, "it is got a shoe on its foot?"

Hmm....

:-)

Old 01-25-2011, 08:01 PM

compdoc wrote:
<snip>
> My first 'real' computer was a Fat Mac, so I still love a good GUI. And
> Windows has a nice GUI.

Windows was ok. Oh, sorry, Windows 3.x. One reason I dispise Window (post
3.x) is the incredibly stupid design decision to put the GUI into ring 0.
Something goes wrong with the GUI, you're toast. Win 3.x, *Nix (including
OS X), oh, well, restart the GUI. And because it's all in there, lessee, I
just read the other week that an average laptop these days has the
processing power of a mid-nineties Cray supercomputer... and they run like
an 8088 (ok, maybe an 80286), just for all the eye candy: style, not
content.

mark

Old 01-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Les Mikesell

On 1/25/2011 2:49 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:

> So what happens when one does the monthly tuesday patches for windoze
> and your security door controller running on SQLserver (micro$oft)
> fails. Back out all the patches - inform micro$oft - wait - wait some
> more - never get a response - call the security software vendor - aware
> of patch problem - no fix planned - buy the newest version. All this on
> a stable windoze XP prof. Dell box. $$$$ that's all that matters.

Running XP as a server??? You do know there are Windows server
products, right?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-25-2011, 08:28 PM
"Les Bell"

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:

Running XP as a server???
<<

There are lots of bloatware Windows products which use MS SQL server as an
embedded database, Les. My personal favourite was the software for a TV
tuner card (Pinnacle) which used SQL Server to store its program schedule.
Bloatware of the first order, and unstable as hell, too.

Meanwhile, for those who a spot of schadenfreude:
http://failblog.org/2011/01/25/m-thru-f-why-so-blue/

Best,

--- Les Bell
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
Tel: +61 2 9451 1144

Old 01-25-2011, 08:48 PM

Les Bell wrote:
> Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
> Running XP as a server???
> <<
> There are lots of bloatware Windows products which use MS SQL server as an
> embedded database, Les. My personal favourite was the software for a TV
> tuner card (Pinnacle) which used SQL Server to store its program schedule.
> Bloatware of the first order, and unstable as hell, too.
>
> Meanwhile, for those who a spot of schadenfreude:
> http://failblog.org/2011/01/25/m-thru-f-why-so-blue/

Heh. About 10 years ago, in Chicago, there's this huge screen diagonlly on
a corner over a restaurant... and it was BSoD, for a while....

mark

Old 01-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Max Hetrick

On 01/25/2011 03:49 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:

> So what happens when one does the monthly tuesday patches for windoze
> and your security door controller running on SQLserver (micro$oft)
> fails. Back out all the patches - inform micro$oft - wait - wait some
> more - never get a response - call the security software vendor - aware
> of patch problem - no fix planned - buy the newest version. All this on
> a stable windoze XP prof. Dell box. $$$$ that's all that matters.

Windows aside, my point was that I see it far to often from people that
just because something is "pretty" or has the "windozie" feel, they
automatically dismiss it as a non-stable product.

Take Ubuntu for example, it has the prettiness and all the GUI tools,
which is what attracts desktop users, but then you have those that say
it's not stable and is too cutting edge because of that reason. I
personally don't find it to be the case, but that's my experience with
working with it. Every OS has an application, it depends on what you're
trying to accomplish.

Running CentOS for normal user desktops didn't yield good results for
me, where Ubuntu did and fit that purpose. Or running Windows XP as a
server, where a Windows Server 2003/2008 instance should be. A lot of it
is decision making for what is trying to be done. Too many are narrow
minded about this kind of stuff, because they don't want to work with
something different, or with what is out of their comfort zone.

My point was to not fall into that mind frame of "GUI" is bad or
bleeding edge and doesn't work, and therefor is automatic crap. That is
certainly not the case. I've seen GUI tools be refused to be used simply
because they are GUI tools, and to me that's not 2011 type thinking.

Personally, I run CentOS on my laptop. I also like all the guifications,
so I spend lots of time setting that GUI pretty feel up for myself.
Since my employer runs a lot of RHEL/CentOS on servers, I want and like
to have a system similar to use, but I also like my desktop eye candy too.

But I also run Ubuntu, SuSE, and Windows. If systems are properly
applied to the appropriate applications, and set up and managed
correctly, then I don't have problems running many kinds of operating
systems. I don't fall victim to the religion of one operating system, I
use many kinds to get my job done that I'm paid to do.

Again, just my 0.02 cents as I was backing Brian's comments about the
divide between thinking "nice user interface" can't be said in the same
sentence as a "stable" platform to use.

Regards,
Max

Old 01-26-2011, 04:24 AM
Christopher Chan

On Wednesday, January 26, 2011 05:24 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 1/25/2011 2:49 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:
>>
>> So what happens when one does the monthly tuesday patches for windoze
>> and your security door controller running on SQLserver (micro$oft)
>> fails. Back out all the patches - inform micro$oft - wait - wait some
>> more - never get a response - call the security software vendor - aware
>> of patch problem - no fix planned - buy the newest version. All this on
>> a stable windoze XP prof. Dell box. $$$$ that's all that matters.
>
> Running XP as a server??? You do know there are Windows server
> products, right?

Bah, just hack XP to enable the stuff on Windows 2003 Server.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:56 AM
"Sorin Srbu"

I second that, ie OpenSUSE.

I've too had two laptops with incompatible wifi-hardware visavi CentOS.
Ubuntu kinda' worked in that it found the wifi-hardware, but couldn't
connect to my WPA2-AP at home in a stable manner. After having gone through
a few other distros, I ventured into OpenSUSE 10 and later 11 and voilá, it
both found the hardware and was able to connect to the WPA2-enabled AP, as
well as having a stable connection.

As good as CentOS is with respect to stability both as a server and as a
desktop-solution, it shouldn't maybe be your first choice for a laptop.
That's my experience and my five oere...
--
/Sorin

Old 01-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Brian Mathis

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 1:01 AM, Always Learning <centos@g7.u22.net> wrote:
[...]
> .fs
> * * * *# /bin/bash
> * * * *find /data -iwholename *$1
> * * * *find /ax -iwholename *$1
> * * * *find /bx -iwholename *$1
> * * * *find /cx -iwholename *$1
>
> Obviously with the chmod +x. *The last one makes searching times much
> faster when seeking non-operating system files.

[...]
> Paul.
> England,
> EU.

You may not be aware of the "locate" command? Nightly there is a job
that runs (updatedb) that scans the disk and saves file locations.
Locate searches this database instead of you have to do a 'find'. The
only thing it won't get are files that were added since the last
'updatedb' run. You can run that whenever you want to update the db,
or use find in those cases.