Old 01-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Jerry Franz

Default Recommendation for a Linux alternative to Centos - ATH9K disaster

On 01/25/2011 09:49 AM, Always Learning wrote:
> I persuaded a reluctant friend to buy a new computer. I enthusiastically
> extolled the joys and benefits of Centos and promised to install it on
> his new machine - dual booting with Micro$oft Windoze 7.
[...]

For a new laptop your best hope for a successful native install is
probably Ubuntu 10.10. Laptops in particular are difficult platforms for
hardware support and CentOS5 is not 'cutting edge'. If you want CentOS
on it to work well, you will probably need to wait for CentOS6 - which
could be a month or two.

An alternative I've used is to install VMware Workstation on top of
Windows and install Linux into a VM. Running fullscreen the practical
difference is nil. Then you by and large get the laptop hardware support
gratis from the windows layer including things like wireless and video
drivers drivers.

--
Benjamin Franz

Old 01-25-2011, 05:00 PM

Always Learning wrote:
<snip>
> After 8 hours on Saturday I could sometimes see hubs in the
> neighbourhood but could not connect to my own hub using WPA2.
>
> iwlist wlan0 scan
>
> produced technical details of local hubs - but still could not connect.
> NetworkManager sometimes froze.
>
> Spent many hours Googling for his wifi adaptor Altheros AR928K which
> uses a driver known as ATH9K. Many others have had a similar problem.
> Kernel 2.6.27 apparently includes this driver but Centos 5.5 is 2.6.18.

About 5 years ago, I had to install a wireless card in my tower, and it's
an ATH9xx, I *think* - I can check this evening, if that's relevant. I was
running SuSE, and had to find drivers from madwifi. A few minutes of
googling found...
<http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k/RHEL5>, where the
module's been backported to RHEL5.

mark

Old 01-25-2011, 06:49 PM

Benjamin Smith wrote:
<snip>
> On my hard disk, I have my /home, /boot, and / directories each on their
> own partitions, and when I'm upgrading my Fedora, I just format / and
/boot,
> and leave /home alone. Although I've transfered it a few times between hard
<snip>
Yep. ALWAYS have /home on its own partition. You *might* want /opt on its
own, also. For more on my views on this, here's my copy of the article I
had published a few years ago in SysAdmin (now defunct, unfortunately)
<http://24.5-cent.us/upgrading_linux.doc>

mark

Old 01-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Keith Roberts

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> From: m.roth@5-cent.us
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Recommendation for a Linux alternative to Centos - ATH9K
> disaster
>
> Always Learning wrote:
> <snip>
>> After 8 hours on Saturday I could sometimes see hubs in the
>> neighbourhood but could not connect to my own hub using WPA2.
>>
>> iwlist wlan0 scan
>>
>> produced technical details of local hubs - but still could not connect.
>> NetworkManager sometimes froze.
>>
>> Spent many hours Googling for his wifi adaptor Altheros AR928K which
>> uses a driver known as ATH9K. Many others have had a similar problem.
>> Kernel 2.6.27 apparently includes this driver but Centos 5.5 is 2.6.18.

I came from Fedora 10 to Centos, and the learning curve was
basically a flat line. Using Centos is like stepping back in
time to FC8 for me.

So I recommend Fedora as it's cutting edge, and I had no
major problems apart from not being able to print from Java
apps - but that got sorted a long time ago AFAIR.

Kind Regards,

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Old 01-25-2011, 07:58 PM

Mark wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:45 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> :
>> * These notes brought to you in behalf of the Professional Organization
>> of English Majors, who want to remind you that it's == it is, and is not
>> the possessive whatchamacallit, "its", as in it's got a shoe on its foot.
>>
> So, "it is got a shoe on its foot?"
>
> Hmm....

Right, but I wasn't the English major, y'know.... It can also be "it has".

mark "defeet went over defence before detail"

Old 01-28-2011, 01:50 PM
John Hodrien

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> One *does* have to remember the "mlocate" package's limitations. It
> doesn't browse network mounted directories, it doesn't browse /tmp or
> look for other excluded targets, and it runs with the nightly cron
> jobs. So if you're looking for files in /var/tmp/ or an NFS share, or
> files that were created an hour ago, well, it's back to "find".

All configurable via /etc/updatedb.conf if your local needs differ.

> I have found it very useful, when checking updates on a machine, to
> become root and run the "updatedb" command to get the mlocate database
> updated.

Sure.

jh