Old 06-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Backup script

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 14:23 -0400, shawn wilson wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2011 1:48 PM, "Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 13:21 -0400, shawn wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > On Jun 2, 2011 1:06 PM, "Ralf Mardorf"
> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>

> from an
> > > then to
> And
> > > what

> there's
> solve
> > > this
> needed.

> > > systems.

> > > Debian
> an
> > > >

> > > You can use packages from both (IIRC its a setting in apt.conf).
> What
> > > I'd suggest is to have a test (sandbox) type box (preferably a vm
> > > where you can revert to a snapshot) and make your own repository
> from
> > > that that your production hosts use.
> > >

> > chroot might be an option, but this could cause a lot of unneeded
> issues
> > and I guess a virtual machine can't be used, at least I don't know
> how
> > to ensure that this emulates the real behaviour, when using
> professional
> > audio cards etc.. If there e.g. is jitter, is it caused by the
> > visualisation or is it regarding to the real hardware and drivers?
> > For a DAW you're dealing with HPET, timer resolution is 1000000000
> Hz,
> > expected jitter for e.g. hw MIDI is far below a millisecond.
> >

> I wasn't talking about configuring your software much on the vm. Just
> using the vm to make sure everything you need will install correctly
> and staging packages to update your production boxes from. This way,
> you know when there's an issue between stable and testing packages
> ahead of time. Then you point your production box to your local repo
> of known good packages and let them update from that.
>
> This is sorta out of the realm of 'backup'. But sense you mentioned
> needing to figure what stable vs testing packages you have, I just
> figured is throw out what I'd do (its ten minutes more effort and will
> save tons of headache down the road).

Ok, now I do understand

Old 06-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Rob Owens

On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 08:29:23PM -0400, mark wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 June 2011 10:23:48 am Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> > Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I'm writing a script to backup the 4 Linux installs and the MBRs
> > > on my machine.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to copy all 4 Linux by running one of those
> > > installs?
> > >
> > > With a lack of knowledge I would backup the 3 Linux that aren't
> > > running, by the running Linux and than boot another Linux
> > > install, to backup the previously running Linux.
> >
> > http://www.mondorescue.org/
>
> +1, many times mondorescue has saved me.

I love BackupPC. It gives you the choice of rsync, tar, smb, (maybe
others). It pools common files, so if you have the same file on all 4
Linux installs, it only needs to save one copy. It has a handy web
interface that lets you do all the configuration and restores.

It handles network outages better than a simple cron job would. For
instance, if the network is down during your daily cron backup, you
don't get a backup until the next day. With BackupPC, it'll check every
hour. It also supports blackout periods (times when you don't want
backups to occur).

It's really great software and it's in the Debian repositories.

-Rob