Old 06-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Backup script

On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 12:26 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 20:12 +1000, James Robertson wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm writing a script to backup the 4 Linux installs and the
> > MBRs on my
> > machine.
> >
> > Is there a way to copy all 4 Linux by running one of those
> > installs?
> >
> > With a lack of knowledge I would backup the 3 Linux that
> > aren't running,
> > by the running Linux and than boot another Linux install, to
> > backup the
> > previously running Linux.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ralf
> >

> > Unless your doing something special like taking and image of the
> > installs using dd or something then there is no real reason you cannot
> > backup everything in one job including the running linux install.
> >

> > Provide more specific information and you might get a better answer.
>
> # cd /mount_point_linux_root_directory
> # tar czf /path_for_backups/backup_name.tar.gz *
>
> Asterisk is ok here, no globbing issue for root directories . I'll
> always have access to the files, I don't sync files, I'll always do
> complete backups.
>
> I'm unsure if it's okay, to backup a running Linux by itself. I think it
> isn't ok.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Ralf

*lol* Pardon, no mount point for the running Linux, but I guess you
understand what I wish to do .

Old 06-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Camaleón

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 10:27:38 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I'm writing a script to backup the 4 Linux installs and the MBRs on my
> machine.
>
> Is there a way to copy all 4 Linux by running one of those installs?
>
> With a lack of knowledge I would backup the 3 Linux that aren't running,
> by the running Linux and than boot another Linux install, to backup the
> previously running Linux.

Ein? :-)

What is your main goal?

→ If you want to have a copy (image) of a full linux system that you can
restore at any time, better use cloning tools, like Clonezilla and such,
and better make the backup off-line.

→ If you just want to backup plain data, "tar" on running systems can be
fine.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-01-2011, 11:30 AM
James Robertson

> # cd /mount_point_linux_root_directory

> # tar czf /path_for_backups/backup_name.tar.gz *

Backup up your running machine using tar is fine but you should probably exclude some directories.
Something like this would do (you may want to remove some of the excludes like logs for example).

cd /
tar -czf /backups/linux1.tar.gz ./ --exclude="backups" --exclude="tmp" --exclude="var/tmp" --exclude="var/log" --exclude="var/cache" --exclude="proc" --exclude="mnt" --exclude="media" --exclude="sys"

Tar's*--one-file-system argument could also prove useful in your situation. *Check the man page.
You could then write a simple for loop to backup all your mounted Linux installs.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Ralf Mardorf wrote:

Hi

I'm writing a script to backup the 4 Linux installs and the MBRs on my
machine.

Is there a way to copy all 4 Linux by running one of those installs?

With a lack of knowledge I would backup the 3 Linux that aren't running,
by the running Linux and than boot another Linux install, to backup the
previously running Linux.

http://www.mondorescue.org/

Hugo

Archive: is5i1c$gmj$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/is5i1c$gmj$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 06-01-2011, 02:39 PM
David Christensen

I'm writing a script to backup the 4 Linux installs and the MBRs on my
machine.
Is there a way to copy all 4 Linux by running one of those installs?
With a lack of knowledge I would backup the 3 Linux that aren't running,
by the running Linux and than boot another Linux install, to backup the
previously running Linux.

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596102463/

HTH,

David

Archive: 4DE64F15.1030609@holgerdanske.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DE64F15.1030609@holgerdanske.com

Old 06-02-2011, 12:29 AM
mark

On Wednesday 01 June 2011 10:23:48 am Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm writing a script to backup the 4 Linux installs and the MBRs
> > on my machine.
> >
> > Is there a way to copy all 4 Linux by running one of those
> > installs?
> >
> > With a lack of knowledge I would backup the 3 Linux that aren't
> > running, by the running Linux and than boot another Linux
> > install, to backup the previously running Linux.
>
> http://www.mondorescue.org/

+1, many times mondorescue has saved me.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:54 AM
shawn wilson

On Jun 1, 2011 8:29 PM, "mark" <mark@neidorff.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 01 June 2011 10:23:48 am Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> > Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> > > Hi

> > > I'm writing a script to backup the 4 Linux installs and the MBRs

> > > on my machine.

> > > Is there a way to copy all 4 Linux by running one of those

> > > installs?

> > > With a lack of knowledge I would backup the 3 Linux that aren't

> > > running, by the running Linux and than boot another Linux

> > > install, to backup the previously running Linux.

> > http://www.mondorescue.org/

> +1, many times mondorescue has saved me.

... a few thoughts here:

1. It's generally pointless to backup full systems (forensics and migration being the only two caveats I can think of). And there is certainly no need to make four separate full disk backups for a home network.

2. Is use rsync from a central box. However Amanda is much better.

3. Don't backup all your files. If you think you'll need to restore a system quickly, setup kickstart to do the install, puppet to throw down your config (and possibly your files from backup). Otherwise, just do what I used to do and backup your data and etc using tar or rsync. Then, if you need to restore, just do a default install and then just copy back your etc and data.

HTH

Old 06-02-2011, 01:03 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 20:54 -0400, shawn wilson wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2011 8:29 PM, "mark" <mark@neidorff.com> wrote:

> > > http://www.mondorescue.org/
> >
> > +1, many times mondorescue has saved me.
> >

> ... a few thoughts here:
> 1. It's generally pointless to backup full systems (forensics and
> migration being the only two caveats I can think of). And there is
> certainly no need to make four separate full disk backups for a home
> network.
> 2. Is use rsync from a central box. However Amanda is much better.
> 3. Don't backup all your files. If you think you'll need to restore a
> system quickly, setup kickstart to do the install, puppet to throw
> down your config (and possibly your files from backup). Otherwise,
> just do what I used to do and backup your data and etc using tar or
> rsync. Then, if you need to restore, just do a default install and
> then just copy back your etc and data.
>
> HTH

A default install of what? I run well tuned audio/MIDI workstations,
e.g. completely free from hardware MIDI jitter. There is NO distro
providing this by a default install, at least not for my machine. I only
wished to know if it's possible to backup a running Linux by itself .
Using a GUI or so wasn't an option, because I wished the computer do do
the 4 backups, while I had to leave the house today. Usually I manually
tar those Linux, but today the script should do it.
It's also very time consuming to compile all the apps again, that need
to be compiled, the kernel, jack2 from svn etc.. Just saving the data
isn't an option.

Anyway, thank you all for the recommendations and help .

Regards,

Ralf

Old 06-02-2011, 01:26 AM
Tom Furie

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 03:03:18AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> It's also very time consuming to compile all the apps again, that need
> to be compiled, the kernel, jack2 from svn etc.. Just saving the data
> isn't an option.

So, backup your configs, data, and prebuilt source trees ready for a
"sudo make install" run?

Cheers,
Tom

--
In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun.
Find the fun and snap! The job's a game.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:24 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 02:26 +0100, Tom Furie wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 03:03:18AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > It's also very time consuming to compile all the apps again, that need
> > to be compiled, the kernel, jack2 from svn etc.. Just saving the data
> > isn't an option.
>
> So, backup your configs, data, and prebuilt source trees ready for a
> "sudo make install" run?
>
> Cheers,
> Tom

It takes just some minutes to restore a complete install from an
archive, IMO it makes no sense to make a deafult install and then to
copy back configs and data and to install additional stuff. And what is
a default install? You might have a combination of the default install
and upgrades and you don't know if you would get the same upgraded
package versions again from a repository.

Btw. at the moment I can't install libslv2-dev, because there's a
dependency missing for Debian stable?!
If I should e.g. solve this issue, I won't have to do this again, when a
backup is needed.