Old 01-28-2011, 05:07 PM

Default backup script

madunix@gmail.com wrote:
> home folder for backup /backup
>
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 7:49 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> madunix@gmail.com wrote:
>>> I have reallocated it to /home
>>> thx
>> Please stop top posting.
>>
>> Relocated it to /home, as in /home/backup? Don't clutter your base
>> directories, that's very bad practice.
>>
>> * * * mark

Do you actually understand what we're talking about when *many* of us here
ask people to STOP TOP POSTING?

mark

Old 01-28-2011, 05:31 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

Furthermore, do you understand the need to make clear fact-rich helpful
posts?
I have no personal gripe against top-posting that I don't also have
against people quoting the entire message running 2+ pages to add "that
works for me" or "Package yada does it better" at the bottom.

You, madunix, are both top-posting and making uselessly short ambiguous
posts. Please stop the one practice, or the other.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 1:03 PM, madunix@gmail.com <madunix@gmail.com> wrote:
> home folder for backup */backup

This is a tactical problem. If you actually read the "File System
Hierarchy" guidelines, you'll see that it should be in "/var" as
dynamic, volatile content, probably undar "/var/backup".

If that backup repository is network mounted for whatever reasons, it
also keeps mounting problems off of the "/ directory, which is very
desirable.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:31 AM
"madunix@gmail.com"

Recall..
I run now the following task every day tar -cvzf
/rescue/website-$(date +%u).tgz /var/www/htdocs/*
I want now to move these files from the local server to a remote server via ftp.

any help.

Thanks

Old 03-20-2011, 06:31 AM
"madunix@gmail.com"

Old 03-20-2011, 07:16 AM
Pinter Tibor

On 03/20/2011 08:31 AM, madunix@gmail.com wrote:
> Recall..
> I run now the following task every day tar -cvzf
> /rescue/website-$(date +%u).tgz /var/www/htdocs/*
> I want now to move these files from the local server to a remote server via ftp.
>
> any help.
>
> Thanks

man lftp

Old 03-20-2011, 07:16 AM
Pinter Tibor

On 03/20/2011 08:31 AM, madunix@gmail.com wrote:
> Recall..
> I run now the following task every day tar -cvzf
> /rescue/website-$(date +%u).tgz /var/www/htdocs/*
> I want now to move these files from the local server to a remote server via ftp.
>
> any help.
>
> Thanks

man lftp

Old 06-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Hi

I'm writing a script to backup the 4 Linux installs and the MBRs on my
machine.

Is there a way to copy all 4 Linux by running one of those installs?

With a lack of knowledge I would backup the 3 Linux that aren't running,
by the running Linux and than boot another Linux install, to backup the
previously running Linux.

Regards,

Ralf

Old 06-01-2011, 10:12 AM
James Robertson

Hi

I'm writing a script to backup the 4 Linux installs and the MBRs on my

machine.

Is there a way to copy all 4 Linux by running one of those installs?

With a lack of knowledge I would backup the 3 Linux that aren't running,

by the running Linux and than boot another Linux install, to backup the

previously running Linux.

Regards,

Ralf

Unless your doing something special like taking and image of the installs using dd or something then there is no real reason you cannot backup everything in one job including the running linux install.

Provide more specific information and you might get a better answer.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 20:12 +1000, James Robertson wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm writing a script to backup the 4 Linux installs and the
> MBRs on my
> machine.
>
> Is there a way to copy all 4 Linux by running one of those
> installs?
>
> With a lack of knowledge I would backup the 3 Linux that
> aren't running,
> by the running Linux and than boot another Linux install, to
> backup the
> previously running Linux.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ralf
>

> Unless your doing something special like taking and image of the
> installs using dd or something then there is no real reason you cannot
> backup everything in one job including the running linux install.
>

> Provide more specific information and you might get a better answer.

# cd /mount_point_linux_root_directory
# tar czf /path_for_backups/backup_name.tar.gz *

Asterisk is ok here, no globbing issue for root directories . I'll
always have access to the files, I don't sync files, I'll always do
complete backups.

I'm unsure if it's okay, to backup a running Linux by itself. I think it
isn't ok.

Cheers!

Ralf