-   -   pen drive, hard disk, cd not being detected (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/480105-pen-drive-hard-disk-cd-not-being-detected.html)

Ritika Garg 01-23-2011 01:23 PM

pen drive, hard disk, cd not being detected

I am working in Centos5.5. Pen drive, hard disk, cd are not being recognised. During booting, "mounting local filesystems [failed]" is displayed among other errors which I am unable to see as the messages proceed fast. Are these messages stored in some file, so that I can check them and report all the errors that are displayed during booting.

Kenneth Wolcott 01-23-2011 05:53 PM

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 06:23, Ritika Garg <ritikagarg25@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am working in Centos5.5. Pen drive, hard disk, cd are not being
> recognised. During booting, "mounting local filesystems [failed]" is
> displayed among other errors which I am unable to see as the messages
> proceed fast. Are these messages stored in some file, so that I can check
> them and report all the errors that are displayed during booting.

"dmesg" should give you some clues.

HTH,
Ken Wolcott

Ritika Garg 01-26-2011 03:34 PM

pen drive, hard disk, cd not being detected

Among many messages that 'dmesg' displays, the following seems to indicate that something might be wrong:
mtrr:type mismatch for c1fe0000,10000 old:write-back new:write-combining

I can't understand what does the above mean?

Ritika Garg 01-26-2011 03:53 PM

pen drive, hard disk, cd not being detected

The problem occurred after I downloaded and compiled the package for enabling wireless on the laptop from the site 'www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php' which I got to know from the site 'wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless/Broadcom'

John R Pierce 01-26-2011 04:49 PM

On 01/26/11 8:53 AM, Ritika Garg wrote:
> The problem occurred....

you need to find a better email program for participating on lists.
you posted 3 emails this morning none of which have a Referencers:
header, or any quoted context, so they ended up unthreaded. now, my
'Centos" folder has 35000 messages in it currently. I don't know
many people who would spend the time to figure out what you're talking
about unless they were on an hourly retainer.

Kai Schaetzl 01-26-2011 07:31 PM

pen drive, hard disk, cd not being detected

and please switch off HTML, thanks!

Kai