Old 01-23-2011, 12:47 PM
kellyremo

Default putting "/tmp" to memory

"to memory" means: mounting a ~2 GByte filesystem [ tmpfs?, or ramfs? ], and put the "/tmp" on it. [ e.g.: 4 GByte ram in the pc ]. what to write in the "/etc/fstab"?

I would like to collect the [ answers too:P ]:

Advantages:
- Memory is way faster then HDD/SSD, so it could speed things up
- "SSD amortization" is less

Disadvantages:
- Security? [ how to set this up to be secure? any clear howtos/links regarding it? :O ]

Really thank you for any good help...

Old 01-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Andras Simon

On 1/23/11, kellyremo <kellyremo@zoho.com> wrote:

> "to memory" means: mounting a ~2 GByte filesystem [ tmpfs?, or ramfs? ], and
> put the "/tmp" on it. [ e.g.: 4 GByte ram in the pc ]. what to write in the
> "/etc/fstab"?

This works for me:

tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0

Andras

Old 01-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Lucian

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 1:47 PM, kellyremo <kellyremo@zoho.com> wrote:

> "to memory" means: mounting a ~2 GByte filesystem [ tmpfs?, or ramfs? ], and
> put the "/tmp" on it. [ e.g.: 4 GByte ram in the pc ]. what to write in the
> "/etc/fstab"?
>
> I would like to collect the [ answers too:P ]:
>
> Advantages:
> - Memory is way faster then HDD/SSD, so it could speed things up
> - "SSD amortization" is less
>
> Disadvantages:
> - Security? [ how to set this up to be secure? any clear howtos/links
> regarding it? :O ]
>
> Really thank you for any good help...

add this to fstab:
none /tmp tmpfs defaults,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0

(unverified)

then reboot or remount /tmp.