Old 01-23-2011, 01:40 AM
Tim Dunphy

Default curious reboot output

Hello list!

I was just curious about the output of a command I typed.

[root@LCENT02:~] #last reboot | head -1
reboot system boot 2.6.18-194.26.1. Wed Dec 29 20:03 (24+01:33)

This is odd because this machine was rebuilt today (Saturday 1/22) in
mid afternoon. Just curious how the output of this command could NOT
know this?

Also I notice that on select machines the command init 6 does not seem
to reboot the machine. I have to type the reboot command in order for
this to actually happen. Any troubleshooting tips here?

Thanks

--
GPG me!!

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys F186197B

Old 01-23-2011, 02:06 AM
Robert Heller

> Hello list!
>
> I was just curious about the output of a command I typed.
>
> [root@LCENT02:~] #last reboot | head -1
> reboot system boot 2.6.18-194.26.1. Wed Dec 29 20:03 (24+01:33)
>

> This is odd because this machine was rebuilt today (Saturday 1/22) in
> mid afternoon. Just curious how the output of this command could NOT
> know this?

What was the hw clock set to on reboot?

Old 01-23-2011, 02:49 AM
Mark

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 7:06 PM, Robert Heller <heller@deepsoft.com> wrote:

>> Hello list!
>>
>> *I was just curious about the output of a command I typed.
>>
>> [root@LCENT02:~] #last reboot | head -1
>> reboot * system boot *2.6.18-194.26.1. Wed Dec 29 20:03 * * * * (24+01:33)
>>

>> This is odd because this machine was rebuilt today (Saturday 1/22) in
>> mid afternoon. Just curious how the output of this command could NOT
>> know this?
>
> What was the hw clock set to on reboot?

When it's almost a month off, is this really relevant? I could see a
timezone discrepancy making this relevant, maybe, but not three weeks.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

First troubleshooting step would be to run just "last".

Kai

Old 01-23-2011, 05:34 PM
Robert Heller

> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 7:06 PM, Robert Heller <heller@deepsoft.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Hello list!
> >>
> >> *I was just curious about the output of a command I typed.
> >>
> >> [root@LCENT02:~] #last reboot | head -1
> >> reboot * system boot *2.6.18-194.26.1. Wed Dec 29 20:03 * * * * (24+01:33)
> >>

> >> This is odd because this machine was rebuilt today (Saturday 1/22) in
> >> mid afternoon. Just curious how the output of this command could NOT
> >> know this?
> >
> > What was the hw clock set to on reboot?
> >

> When it's almost a month off, is this really relevant? I could see a
> timezone discrepancy making this relevant, maybe, but not three weeks.

Unless the hardware clock was off for some reason (dead/weak BIOS
battery?). If you are running ntpd, it will sync up pretty quick, but
if the clock is wrong at boot time, that is what will be recorded in the
last database.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Mark

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Robert Heller <heller@deepsoft.com> wrote:

> Unless the hardware clock was off for some reason (dead/weak BIOS
> battery?). *If you are running ntpd, it will sync up pretty quick, but
> if the clock is wrong at boot time, that is what will be recorded in the
> last database.

Good point.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Keith Roberts

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011, Robert Heller wrote:

> From: Robert Heller <heller@deepsoft.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] curious reboot output

>>> What was the hw clock set to on reboot?
>>>

>> When it's almost a month off, is this really relevant? I could see a
>> timezone discrepancy making this relevant, maybe, but not three weeks.
>
> Unless the hardware clock was off for some reason (dead/weak BIOS
> battery?). If you are running ntpd, it will sync up pretty quick, but
> if the clock is wrong at boot time, that is what will be recorded in the
> last database.

I replaced my M/B BIOS battery recently (amongst other
things), and forgot to reset the BIOS date and time. When I
restarted the machine fsck had a wobbly turn, about the
filesystems not being checked since ~1970!

So every partition got checked for no real reason!

Learnt my lesson there!

Kind Regards,

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Old 01-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Leonard den Ottolander

Hello Tim,

On Sat, 2011-01-22 at 21:40 -0500, Tim Dunphy wrote:
> reboot system boot 2.6.18-194.26.1. Wed Dec 29 20:03 (24+01:33)

> This is odd because this machine was rebuilt today (Saturday 1/22) in

Is there a discrepancy with the time stamps on the installed files in
f.e /etc or /var/log? *That* would be curious. This is probably just
caused by an unsynced BIOS clock. Once your OS has synced the time with
an external source the correct time will be written back to BIOS on
reboot.

Regards,
Leonard.