FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Rudi Ahlers
 
Default how to control Hard Drive light from Linux?

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to control a hard drive light from Linux? I'm
building a 24bay Linux File server which will run software RAID and I
need an easy way for the engineers to see which HDD has gone bad.

Most of our NAS devices has 2 lights on the hard drive cages and they
automatically signal a bad one (reg light, light constant on , etc)
but I can't figure out how todo this from Linux.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers
SoftDux

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-22-2011, 09:48 PM
John R Pierce
 
Default how to control Hard Drive light from Linux?

On 01/22/11 2:03 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know how to control a hard drive light from Linux? I'm
> building a 24bay Linux File server which will run software RAID and I
> need an easy way for the engineers to see which HDD has gone bad.
>
> Most of our NAS devices has 2 lights on the hard drive cages and they
> automatically signal a bad one (reg light, light constant on , etc)
> but I can't figure out how todo this from Linux.
>

i can't answer your actual question, but generally those backplanes have
a "SAF-TE" or "SES" chip on them which appears as a seperate SCSI/SAS
device, and the system communicates with this to manage drive status
includinng indicators. I have no idea how you get this working in
Linux, however, but maybe this is sufficient clue to help find your answer


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Robert Heller
 
Default how to control Hard Drive light from Linux?

At Sat, 22 Jan 2011 14:48:59 -0800 CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org> wrote:

>
> On 01/22/11 2:03 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Does anyone know how to control a hard drive light from Linux? I'm
> > building a 24bay Linux File server which will run software RAID and I
> > need an easy way for the engineers to see which HDD has gone bad.
> >
> > Most of our NAS devices has 2 lights on the hard drive cages and they
> > automatically signal a bad one (reg light, light constant on , etc)
> > but I can't figure out how todo this from Linux.
> >
>
> i can't answer your actual question, but generally those backplanes have
> a "SAF-TE" or "SES" chip on them which appears as a seperate SCSI/SAS
> device, and the system communicates with this to manage drive status
> includinng indicators. I have no idea how you get this working in
> Linux, however, but maybe this is sufficient clue to help find your answer


I believe there is a package that understands how to talk to the SAF-TE
device. It might be in epel or rpmforge.

>
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
>

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933 / heller@deepsoft.com
Deepwoods Software -- http://www.deepsoft.com/
() ascii ribbon campaign -- against html e-mail
/ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-23-2011, 03:21 AM
Nico Kadel-Garcia
 
Default how to control Hard Drive light from Linux?

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know how to control a hard drive light from Linux? I'm
> building a 24bay Linux File server which will run software RAID and I
> need an easy way for the engineers to see which HDD has gone bad.
>
> Most of our NAS devices has 2 lights on the hard drive cages and they
> automatically signal a bad one (reg light, light constant on , etc)
> but I can't figure out how todo this from Linux.

That's because they have hardware RAID, with that built in at the
hardware itself, the drivers designed for that chassis, and the
management tools for it. Unpeeling that to say "make it work on
Linux!" would be unfair: we couldn't make a good guess without knowing
the actual *hardware* of your Linux File Server. And we can't even
guess what the available displays of your drive enclosure are.

Why are you doing this when a commercial solution with such featurs,
equipped with 1 TB drives, costs less than $10,000 with all these
goodies and the superior performance of hardware RAID thrown in?
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Rudi Ahlers
 
Default how to control Hard Drive light from Linux?

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 6:21 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does anyone know how to control a hard drive light from Linux? I'm
>> building a 24bay Linux File server which will run software RAID and I
>> need an easy way for the engineers to see which HDD has gone bad.
>>
>> Most of our NAS devices has 2 lights on the hard drive cages and they
>> automatically signal a bad one (reg light, light constant on , etc)
>> but I can't figure out how todo this from Linux.
>
> That's because they have hardware RAID, with that built in at the
> hardware itself, the drivers designed for that chassis, and the
> management tools for it. Unpeeling that to say "make it work on
> Linux!" would be unfair: we couldn't make a good guess without knowing
> the actual *hardware* of your Linux File Server. And we can't even
> guess what the available displays of your drive enclosure are.

Nope. Many NAS devices don't have hardware RAID, especially those
which allow you to change the RAID level from a web interface. They
also mostly run Linux, or BSD (very few run Windows. And many SAS
expanders have 2 light for each drive: power & activity.

I need to know how to manipulate either of those, to make it appear
differently from it's normal stats so that the on-site tech's know
there's a drive fault.


>
> Why are you doing this when a commercial solution with such featurs,
> equipped with 1 TB drives, costs less than $10,000 with all these
> goodies and the superior performance of hardware RAID thrown in?

Check again. Many of those solutions don't actually have hardware RAID
in the price. We've been down this road already.

And, I'm tired of:
1. vendon lock-ins
2. vendor limitation cause they want to milk more out of you than necessary.
3. 40 -70% import duties on those devices in our country.
4. vendors who feel you should have storage the way they like it, not
the way you like it.
5. vendor "expert technicians" who don't even know how to setup their
own equipment properly.




--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers
SoftDux

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Kay Diederichs
 
Default how to control Hard Drive light from Linux?

On 01/23/2011 04:48 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 6:21 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia<nkadel@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Rudi Ahlers<Rudi@softdux.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to control a hard drive light from Linux? I'm
>>> building a 24bay Linux File server which will run software RAID and I
>>> need an easy way for the engineers to see which HDD has gone bad.
>>>

we use the following workaround:

- trigger the activity light by running "hdparm -tT /dev/sdX" for the
drive in question
- watch the lights of all the drives - the one that blinks is sdX; this
of course works best if the array is idle

This is of course very low-tech, but it does the job.

HTH,

Kay

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Kwan Lowe
 
Default how to control Hard Drive light from Linux?

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know how to control a hard drive light from Linux? I'm
> building a 24bay Linux File server which will run software RAID and I
> need an easy way for the engineers to see which HDD has gone bad.
>
> Most of our NAS devices has 2 lights on the hard drive cages and they
> automatically signal a bad one (reg light, light constant on , etc)
> but I can't figure out how todo this from Linux.
>
> --

This page might help:
http://pikawarp.org/?p=139


Talks about setting entries in /sys/class/leds.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Rudi Ahlers
 
Default how to control Hard Drive light from Linux?

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does anyone know how to control a hard drive light from Linux? I'm
>> building a 24bay Linux File server which will run software RAID and I
>> need an easy way for the engineers to see which HDD has gone bad.
>>
>> Most of our NAS devices has 2 lights on the hard drive cages and they
>> automatically signal a bad one (reg light, light constant on , etc)
>> but I can't figure out how todo this from Linux.
>>
>> --
>
> This page might help:
> http://pikawarp.org/?p=139
>
>
> Talks about setting entries in /sys/class/leds.


That's exactly what I want todo, but with drive cage LED's. Most hot
swap drive cages have 2 LED's, so I need a more universal approach,
i.e. irrespective of whether it's SuperMicro, Intel, HP, etc.


The page you suggested is very specific to the WARP devices, and by
the looks of it they have a script that runs in those folders, which
in turn interacts with the drive's circuitry.

but, I have yet to find a solution for generic Linux.


--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers
SoftDux

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Kwan Lowe
 
Default how to control Hard Drive light from Linux?

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com> wrote:

>>
>> This page might help:
>> http://pikawarp.org/?p=139
>>
>>
>> Talks about setting entries in /sys/class/leds.
>
>
> That's exactly what I want todo, but with drive cage LED's. Most hot
> swap drive cages have 2 LED's, so I need a more universal approach,
> i.e. irrespective of whether it's SuperMicro, Intel, HP, etc.
>
>
> The page you suggested is very specific to the WARP devices, and by
> the looks of it they have a script that runs in those folders, which
> in turn interacts with the drive's circuitry.
>
> but, I have yet to find a solution for generic Linux.

The actual process is similar on other devices.. If they have support
it will show up in /sys/class/leds and you can enable them the same
way.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Rudi Ahlers
 
Default how to control Hard Drive light from Linux?

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 1:07 AM, Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com> wrote:
>
>>>
>>> This page might help:
>>> http://pikawarp.org/?p=139
>>>
>>>
>>> Talks about setting entries in /sys/class/leds.
>>
>>
>> That's exactly what I want todo, but with drive cage LED's. Most hot
>> swap drive cages have 2 LED's, so I need a more universal approach,
>> i.e. irrespective of whether it's SuperMicro, Intel, HP, etc.
>>
>>
>> The page you suggested is very specific to the WARP devices, and by
>> the looks of it they have a script that runs in those folders, which
>> in turn interacts with the drive's circuitry.
>>
>> but, I have yet to find a solution for generic Linux.
>
> The actual process is similar on other devices.. If they have support
> it will show up in /sys/class/leds and you can enable them the same
> way.
> _______________________________________________


Yes, I get that. But, those embeded devices already has the software /
scripts / code / etc included to contol the LED's. I can't find
anything in a standard Linux installation todo the same. So I was
hoping someone knows what they actually use?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers
SoftDux

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:12 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org