Old 01-22-2011, 07:16 PM
cwlists

Default Could CentOS 5.5 on newer hardware make it freeze or shutdown?

Hi,

I have built a new PC on which I've installed CentOS 5.5 64-bit (with
updates) which after some hours of running suddenly either hard freeze
or instant power off. The /var/log/messages log doesn't reveal
anything of what has happened. The load has been either just idling or
with moderate disc activities (transfers over 100GBit). Below is the
hardware spec:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3
CPU: Intel Core i5 650
RAM: CORSAIR 8 GB RAM
HDD1: Intel X25-M 80GB
HDD2-7: Samsung ECHOGREEN 500GB
ST LABS SATA/300 4-PORT PCI-E
PSU: Corsair CX 430W

I've also been running memtest86 for more than 24 hours without any errors.

I was on my way to return either the motherboard or the PSU when I
thought of installing Fedora 14 and give it a try. The PC has now been
running for over 48 hours without any glitch, with varying load.

I should also mention another problem that strangely disappeared with
F14, and that was that the Samsung HDDs, which I have in a soft RAID6,
now and then timed out (only one at a time). The message log showed a
dump of NCQ queued commands, before it reconnected that disk. In F14 I
haven't seen any errors at all in the log.

Could those problems only relate to C5, or do you think I also have
hardware problems and only been lucky so far with F14?

Best Regards,
Christian

Old 01-24-2011, 08:48 PM
cwlists

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 00:14, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
>>I have built a new PC on which I've installed CentOS 5.5 64-bit (with
>>updates) which after some hours of running suddenly either hard freeze
>>or instant power off.
>

> Can you check a setting in the bios - see if there's an option named: PCI
> Latency Timer

No, only some frequency adjustment of the PCI-Express bus.

Update:
After some more days of running Fedora 14 those disk timeouts has
started to appear. After a search on the net about similar NCQ
problems I added this to /etc/rc.local yesterday, and so far I haven't
seen any disk timeouts since then:

for D in sd{b,c,d,e,f,g} ; do
echo 1 > /sys/block/$D/device/queue_depth
done

Eventually I wish to install CentOS 6 and hopefully I will not have
the same problem as with CentOS 5.5. In the mean time I will make a
try with Scientific Linux 6 alpha or RHEL 6 beta2 and see what
happens.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:29 PM
cwlists

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 22:48, cwlists <cwlists@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 00:14, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
>>>I have built a new PC on which I've installed CentOS 5.5 64-bit (with
>>>updates) which after some hours of running suddenly either hard freeze
>>>or instant power off.
>>
>> Can you check a setting in the bios - see if there's an option named: PCI
>> Latency Timer
>
> No, only some frequency adjustment of the PCI-Express bus.
>
> Update:
> After some more days of running Fedora 14 those disk timeouts has
> started to appear. After a search on the net about similar NCQ
> problems I added this to /etc/rc.local yesterday, and so far I haven't
> seen any disk timeouts since then:
>
> for D in sd{b,c,d,e,f,g} ; do
> * * * *echo 1 > /sys/block/$D/device/queue_depth
> done
>
> Eventually I wish to install CentOS 6 and hopefully I will not have
> the same problem as with CentOS 5.5. In the mean time I will make a
> try with Scientific Linux 6 alpha or RHEL 6 beta2 and see what
> happens.

Update 2:
Since the 25:th of January the PC has been running SL 6 (6rolling,
dated 2011-01-21) without any problems at all (except the NCQ problem
which has been solved by the earlier mentioned solution above).

I'm still a bit confused that an OS can make a PC to suddenly power
off, but at least now I feel confident that I don't have to replace
any part of the newly bought hardware if I run RHEL/CentOS/SL 6.

//Christian