Old 01-12-2011, 01:07 AM
"compdoc"

Default ext4 or XFS

I never said it was native. zfs-fuse.x86_64

Old 01-12-2011, 01:28 AM
Christopher Chan

On Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:07 AM, compdoc wrote:
> I never said it was native. zfs-fuse.x86_64

Not a Centos or a RHEL package. Please don't bring up experimental
software in threads that are comparing filesystems for production use.

If you want to suggest ZFS, you should suggest that the OP go with
Solaris or FreeBSD although I won't touch ZFS on the latter with a ten
foot pole. Nevermind that I run OpenIndiana and OpenSolaris for ZFS
instead of Solaris.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:42 AM
"compdoc"

I didn't bring up experimental software - I thought that's what he was
using. I misread.

And it worked quite well, except for write speeds. There are some cool
features with zfs.

Trying to decide just what file system to use for these larger and larger
arrays is something I've been facing very recently.

I even tried Ubuntu LTS and server in the last week because of their native
support for ext4.

And even thought Ubuntu has some things right, I don't think it has
everything right.

So I'm waiting, like everyone else for centos 6. For me, the wait is mainly
for better ext4 support. Along with any improvements with KVM. (Not that I
have anything to complain about with KVM on 5.5)

I doubt I'll be moving beyond 16TB, or whatever the limit of ext4 on centos
is.

Sorry to have offended you.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:43 AM

On Jan 11, 2011, at 6:28 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:07 AM, compdoc wrote:
>> I never said it was native. zfs-fuse.x86_64
>>

> Not a Centos or a RHEL package. Please don't bring up experimental
> software in threads that are comparing filesystems for production use.
>
> If you want to suggest ZFS, you should suggest that the OP go with
> Solaris or FreeBSD although I won't touch ZFS on the latter with a ten
> foot pole. Nevermind that I run OpenIndiana and OpenSolaris for ZFS
> instead of Solaris.

Nope, this OP will be sticking with Centos.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:42 AM
"compdoc"

zfs-fuse.x86_64 is from epel - at least some users trust that repo.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:46 AM
Ray Van Dolson

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 08:42:55PM -0700, compdoc wrote:
> zfs-fuse.x86_64 is from epel - at least some users trust that repo.

EPEL is very trustworthy, but I for one wouldn't use ZFS fuse for
anything "Enterprise" (though I would use it for testing, or personal
use).

As an aside, a company called KQ Infotech is working on a native port
of ZFS to Linux. It's still in closed beta testing.

Ray

Old 01-12-2011, 07:14 AM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

On 1/12/11, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
> I didn't bring up experimental software - I thought that's what he was
> using. I misread.
>
> And it worked quite well, except for write speeds. There are some cool
> features with zfs.

http://www.redhat.com/rhel/compare/

As it stands,
16/25/100 TB ext/gfs2(HA)/xfs respective max sizes

I guess of course, dunno about OCFS/GPFS or afs or gluster and the such..

Season's greetings to all,

Regards,

Rajagopal

Old 01-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Gene Brandt

Hey I've been watching the thread on and off. How large in the file system you are trying to share? What will it / they be used?

--

Thanks,

Gene Brandt SCSA

8625 Carriage Road

River Ridge, LA 70123

home 504-737-4295

cell 504-452-3250

Family Web Page* |* My Web Page* | LinkedIn* | Facebook* |* Resumebucket

On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 14:19 -0500, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 at 11:12am, aurfalien@gmail.com wrote

> My RAID has a strip size of of 32KB and a block size of 512bytes.
>
> I've usually just done blind XFS formats but would like to tune it for
> smaller files. Of course big/small is relative but in my env, small
> means sub 300MB or so.
>
> What would your XFS tuning params be for such an env?

It's been a long while since I've done tuned XFS formats. But you also
need to consider how many disks are in the array and what RAID level
you're using.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Mathieu Baudier

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2011-January/thread.html
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2011-January/104184.html

Old 01-12-2011, 05:24 PM

On Jan 12, 2011, at 8:19 AM, Gene Brandt wrote:

> Hey I've been watching the thread on and off. How large in the file
> system you are trying to share? What will it / they be used?

Home dirs which are low/medium bandwidth and other low bandwidth data.

Basically 3 individual NFS exports.

Currently served off an Xserve(s)/Xraid(s) so this new server will be
a boost in both reliability, performance and simplicity in terms of
management.

And the parity calcs for Raid 6 are taking quite some time, almost
twice as long as Raid 5, but then again its more robust.

I'm not overly concerned with performance as it will be leaps above
what we have now.

What I require is reliable bulk storage.

- aurf