Old 11-25-2007, 03:51 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

Default Partioning Error: Dual Boot, WinXP & CentOS5, 27 GB Free space; my error is?

Hello: Starting Friday afternoon, I blew away the installations on the
three (3) boxes we use as Desktops. On two (2) of them (my Dell
Dimension 2400 and my wife's Compaq Evo D300v), I have MS Windows XP
and CentOS5 running. :-) On my daughters box (Dell Dimension 4300)
I am having problems with the partitioning. Probably this is due to
some mistake I have made, with regard to "Active" or "Primary"
partitions? The HD has four (4) NTFS partitions on dev/hda. hda1 >
hda4. According to the partition table shown in the CentOS5
installation, there is 27925 MB of Free Space on the HD. If I try to
create a /boot partition (100 MB) or an LVM, I get: "Error
partitioning - Could not allocate requested partitions. Partitioning
failed. Could not allocate partitions as primary partitions. Not
enough space left to create partition for /boot More or less the
same error: "Automatic partitioning errors - You have not defined a
root (/) partition. This can happen if not enough space." What am I
doing wrong on that box? TIA!
-
Lanny

Old 11-25-2007, 04:32 PM
John Bowden

On Sunday 25 November 2007 16:51:31 Lanny Marcus wrote:
> Hello: Starting Friday afternoon, I blew away the installations on the
> three (3) boxes we use as Desktops. On two (2) of them (my Dell
> Dimension 2400 and my wife's Compaq Evo D300v), I have MS Windows XP
> and CentOS5 running. :-) On my daughters box (Dell Dimension 4300)
> I am having problems with the partitioning. Probably this is due to
> some mistake I have made, with regard to "Active" or "Primary"
> partitions? The HD has four (4) NTFS partitions on dev/hda. hda1 >
> hda4. According to the partition table shown in the CentOS5
> installation, there is 27925 MB of Free Space on the HD. If I try to
> create a /boot partition (100 MB) or an LVM, I get: "Error
> partitioning - Could not allocate requested partitions. Partitioning
> failed. Could not allocate partitions as primary partitions. Not
> enough space left to create partition for /boot More or less the
> same error: "Automatic partitioning errors - You have not defined a
> root (/) partition. This can happen if not enough space." What am I
> doing wrong on that box? TIA!
> -
> Lanny

I think the problem is that you can only have 4 Primary partitions on a disk.
If you to convert one of the NTFS partitions to an extended partition, with
the NTFS partition inside it. Personally, if you want to keep the 4 drive
letters in windoz, I would back up the whole disk ("in case"), set up the
disk with 1 Primary NTFS partition and an extended Partition with the other 3
NTFS partitions inside it. Leave the free space as free space and let the
CentOS installer to use the free space as it sees fit