Old 12-22-2010, 03:12 PM
"Jason T. Slack-Moehrle"

Default Changing Root E-Mail address

Hi All,

I installed a new CentOS 5.5 box and I am getting a daily e-mail (I am not sure how this was triggered) with XNTPD logs, HTTP Error and Disk Space).

It is being sent to root@www.6colors.co which bounces, but I have a catch all so it does get to me.

How do I change where this e-mail is sent? I have tried in /etc/postfix/main.cd, master.cf, bounce.cf.default, etc and I don't see where this is set.

Can anyone help out?

Best,
-Jason

Old 12-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Always Learning

On Wed, 2010-12-22 at 08:12 -0800, Jason T. Slack-Moehrle wrote:

> I installed a new CentOS 5.5 box and I am getting a daily e-mail (I am not sure how this was triggered) with XNTPD logs, HTTP Error and Disk Space).
>
> It is being sent to root@www.6colors.co which bounces, but I have a catch all so it does get to me.
>
> How do I change where this e-mail is sent? I have tried in /etc/postfix/main.cd, master.cf, bounce.cf.default, etc and I don't see where this is set.

Its LOGWATCH what is doing it. It will be scheduled in / ETC / CRONTAB

Regards,

Paul.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:25 PM
"Jason T. Slack-Moehrle"

>> I installed a new CentOS 5.5 box and I am getting a daily e-mail (I am not sure how this was triggered) with XNTPD logs, HTTP Error and Disk Space).

> Its LOGWATCH what is doing it. It will be scheduled in / ETC / CRONTAB

Thanks Paul, I found it!

-Jason

Old 12-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Les Mikesell

On 12/22/2010 10:12 AM, Jason T. Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I installed a new CentOS 5.5 box and I am getting a daily e-mail (I am not sure how this was triggered) with XNTPD logs, HTTP Error and Disk Space).
>
> It is being sent to root@www.6colors.co which bounces, but I have a catch all so it does get to me.
>
> How do I change where this e-mail is sent? I have tried in /etc/postfix/main.cd, master.cf, bounce.cf.default, etc and I don't see where this is set.
>
> Can anyone help out?

If you are running the default sendmail, put an alias for root in
/etc/aliases and restart sendmail or run 'newaliases'.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Pavel Krafcik

Hi

you have to add the record to /etc/aliases:

root: you@adress.tld

and then run: newaliases

Pavel

Old 12-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Always Learning

> If you are running the default sendmail, put an alias for root in
> /etc/aliases and restart sendmail or run 'newaliases'.

Or you can edit

/etc/share/logwatch/scripts/logwatch.pl

and change line 64

$Config{'mailto'} = "root";

Happy Christmas everyone,

Paul.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:53 PM
"Jason T. Slack-Moehrle"

> On Wed, 2010-12-22 at 10:25 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> If you are running the default sendmail, put an alias for root in
>> /etc/aliases and restart sendmail or run 'newaliases'.
>

> Or you can edit
>
> /etc/share/logwatch/scripts/logwatch.pl
>
> and change line 64
>
> $Config{'mailto'} = "root";

Exactly what I did earlier.

-Jason

Old 12-22-2010, 05:58 PM
John R Pierce

>>> If you are running the default sendmail, put an alias for root in
>>> /etc/aliases and restart sendmail or run 'newaliases'.
>>
>> Or you can edit
>>
>> /etc/share/logwatch/scripts/logwatch.pl
>>
>> and change line 64
>>
>> $Config{'mailto'} = "root";
> Exactly what I did earlier.

I would strongly recommend using /etc/aliases and NOT editing
logwatch.pl as any updates to logwatch will collide with your edit,
leaving you with .rpmnew files to merge.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Les Mikesell

On 12/22/2010 12:58 PM, John R Pierce wrote:

>>> Or you can edit
>>>
>>> /etc/share/logwatch/scripts/logwatch.pl
>>>
>>> and change line 64
>>>
>>> $Config{'mailto'} = "root";
>> Exactly what I did earlier.
>
> I would strongly recommend using /etc/aliases and NOT editing
> logwatch.pl as any updates to logwatch will collide with your edit,
> leaving you with .rpmnew files to merge.

And, there may be other interesting/critical mail coming to root.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Keith Roberts

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010, Les Mikesell wrote:

*snipped*

> And, there may be other interesting/critical mail coming to root.

Good point.

I always have root's email sent to my own user account.

That's one of the things my ALI scripts sets up for me.

echo
echo "Processing /etc/aliases config file"
echo

# Backup the newly installed aliases configuration file.
cp -vpR $ETC_DIR/aliases $ETC_DIR/aliases$ORG_SUFX
echo

# Use sed to edit the new aliases file and change
# who should get root's email.

echo "Setting up who gets root's email"

sed -i s/#root:.*marc/'root: keith'/ $2/aliases

echo
cat $ETC_DIR/aliases
echo

Kind Regards,