Old 12-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Anne Wilson

Default The case of the missing mail

I became suspicious that I should have received a certain message, and reading
pm.log I discovered that it had indeed arrived and had been allocated to
/var/mail/anne, despite procmailrc telling it that

MAILDIR=/home/anne/Maildir/

Any idea what might have caused this? It seems to have been working like this
only in the last 24 hours or so.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group

Old 12-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Anne Wilson

On Wednesday 22 December 2010 13:33:10 Anne Wilson wrote:
> I became suspicious that I should have received a certain message, and
> reading pm.log I discovered that it had indeed arrived and had been
> allocated to /var/mail/anne, despite procmailrc telling it that
>
> MAILDIR=/home/anne/Maildir/
>
> Any idea what might have caused this? It seems to have been working like
> this only in the last 24 hours or so.

Also, since /var/mail/anne is mbox and /home/anne/Maildir/ is maildir, I need
to find a way of getting the messages into the correct directory. I could
clip them into separate files, but I assume that the cryptic names of files
are used for indexing.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group

Old 12-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Paul Heinlein

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010, Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Wednesday 22 December 2010 13:33:10 Anne Wilson wrote:
>> I became suspicious that I should have received a certain message,
>> and reading pm.log I discovered that it had indeed arrived and had
>> been allocated to /var/mail/anne, despite procmailrc telling it
>> that
>>
>> MAILDIR=/home/anne/Maildir/
>>
>> Any idea what might have caused this? It seems to have been
>> working like this only in the last 24 hours or so.
>>
> Also, since /var/mail/anne is mbox and /home/anne/Maildir/ is
> maildir, I need to find a way of getting the messages into the
> correct directory. I could clip them into separate files, but I
> assume that the cryptic names of files are used for indexing.

There are a few things that are likely to cause the symptoms you
describe:

1. Lax permissions on ~/.procmailrc: make sure that file isn't
accessible by group or world (0600 works for me).

2. Lax permissions on your $HOME. Procmail gets picky when
things are group-writeable.

3. SELinux issues. Run "ausearch -m avc | grep procmail" to
see if anything needs to be relabeled.

/var/log/maillog will usually supply part of the answer as well.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Anne Wilson

On Wednesday 22 December 2010 16:51:02 Paul Heinlein wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Dec 2010, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > On Wednesday 22 December 2010 13:33:10 Anne Wilson wrote:

> >> I became suspicious that I should have received a certain message,

> >> and reading pm.log I discovered that it had indeed arrived and had

> >> been allocated to /var/mail/anne, despite procmailrc telling it

> >> that

> >> MAILDIR=/home/anne/Maildir/

> >> Any idea what might have caused this? It seems to have been

> >> working like this only in the last 24 hours or so.

> > Also, since /var/mail/anne is mbox and /home/anne/Maildir/ is

> > maildir, I need to find a way of getting the messages into the

> > correct directory. I could clip them into separate files, but I

> > assume that the cryptic names of files are used for indexing.

> There are a few things that are likely to cause the symptoms you

> describe:

> 1. Lax permissions on ~/.procmailrc: make sure that file isn't

> accessible by group or world (0600 works for me).

It was 0700 - I've changed it to 0600.

> 2. Lax permissions on your $HOME. Procmail gets picky when

> things are group-writeable.

The directory itself is not group- or world-writable. There are one or two files inside that are group-writable, but most aren't. I could change those, I suppose, but they are nothing related to the mail system.

> 3. SELinux issues. Run "ausearch -m avc | grep procmail" to

> see if anything needs to be relabeled.

I'm not running SELinux

> /var/log/maillog will usually supply part of the answer as well.

There's nothing obvious, at first scan. Everything seems to be "Delivered to command /usr.bin/procmail" which of course is correct. The only messages affected are thos which should be in my Inbox, having failed to match any recipe.

Anne

--

KDE Community Working Group

Old 12-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Les Mikesell

On 12/22/2010 11:19 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > /var/log/maillog will usually supply part of the answer as well.
>
> There's nothing obvious, at first scan. Everything seems to be
> "Delivered to command /usr.bin/procmail" which of course is correct. The
> only messages affected are thos which should be in my Inbox, having
> failed to match any recipe.

If you have VERBOSE on in your .procmailrc it should log what it does
with each message.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Paul Heinlein

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On 12/22/2010 11:19 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
>>
>> > /var/log/maillog will usually supply part of the answer as well.
>>
>> There's nothing obvious, at first scan. Everything seems to be
>> "Delivered to command /usr.bin/procmail" which of course is
>> correct. The only messages affected are thos which should be in my
>> Inbox, having failed to match any recipe.
>
> If you have VERBOSE on in your .procmailrc it should log what it does
> with each message.

I usually don't rely on user .procmailrc files to specify INBOX
locations. Instead, I set the DEFAULT variable in /etc/procmailrc,
e.g.,

# /etc/procmailrc
DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/

Old 12-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Anne Wilson

On Wednesday 22 December 2010 17:39:56 Paul Heinlein wrote:

> >> There's nothing obvious, at first scan. Everything seems to be

> >> "Delivered to command /usr.bin/procmail" which of course is

> >> correct. The only messages affected are thos which should be in my

> >> Inbox, having failed to match any recipe.

> > If you have VERBOSE on in your .procmailrc it should log what it does

> > with each message.

> I usually don't rely on user .procmailrc files to specify INBOX

> locations. Instead, I set the DEFAULT variable in /etc/procmailrc,

> e.g.,

> # /etc/procmailrc

> DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/

Interesting. I don't have an /etc/procmailrc. Are there other things you'd recommend to place there?

Anne

--

KDE Community Working Group

Old 12-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Paul Heinlein

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > # /etc/procmailrc
>
> > DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/
>
> Interesting. I don't have an /etc/procmailrc. Are there other things
> you'd recommend to place there?

That's all I put in there. It may be worthwhile to take a peek at the
"Environment variable defaults" section of the procmailrc(5) man page.

Note that /etc/procmailrc is often executed as root, not $USER, so I
tend to avoid putting anything but variable definitions in it.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Anne Wilson

On Wednesday 22 December 2010 18:35:29 Paul Heinlein wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Dec 2010, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > # /etc/procmailrc

> > > DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/

> > Interesting. I don't have an /etc/procmailrc. Are there other things

> > you'd recommend to place there?

> That's all I put in there. It may be worthwhile to take a peek at the

> "Environment variable defaults" section of the procmailrc(5) man page.

OK, I'll do that, thanks

> Note that /etc/procmailrc is often executed as root, not $USER, so I

> tend to avoid putting anything but variable definitions in it.

I'll leave it for tomorrow, with a fresher mind, hopefully.

Anne

--

KDE Community Working Group

Old 12-22-2010, 06:35 PM

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 December 2010 16:51:02 Paul Heinlein wrote:

<snip>

> There's nothing obvious, at first scan. Everything seems to be "Delivered
> to command /usr.bin/procmail" which of course is correct. The only
messages
> affected are thos which should be in my Inbox, having failed to match any
> recipe.

Dumb question: um, is the ".", rather than "/", a typo, in /usr.bin/procmail?

mark