Old 12-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Christopher Chan

Default Cloud demographics

Please turn off troll detectors. Especially those with big automatic
hammers.

http://thecloudmarket.com/stats#/by_platform_definition

Anybody 'extra' bandwidth from the 'Cloud'? Ubuntu installations
currently trumps the combined numbers of Centos, Fedora and RHEL (not
that using Centos/Fedora/RHEL guarantees secure installations)
installations and I just wondered on that aspect.

On another note, I wonder how big a change will take place in the
demographics when Centos 6 'hits the streets'.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:19 PM

Christopher Chan wrote:
> Please turn off troll detectors. Especially those with big automatic
> hammers.
>
> http://thecloudmarket.com/stats#/by_platform_definition
<snip>
Not sure I understand it... esp. since it lists "linux" as less than
ubuntu, and more than CentOS....

mark

Old 12-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Rob Del Vecchio

>> http://thecloudmarket.com/stats#/by_platform_definition
> <snip>
> Not sure I understand it... esp. since it lists "linux" as less than
> ubuntu, and more than CentOS....
>
> * * * * mark

I'm guessing "linux" is an average of all of the flavors there so you
can compare "linux" with something like windows.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 21 December 2010 16:32, Rob Del Vecchio <rob.delvecchio@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> http://thecloudmarket.com/stats#/by_platform_definition
>> <snip>
>> Not sure I understand it... esp. since it lists "linux" as less than
>> ubuntu, and more than CentOS....
> I'm guessing "linux" is an average of all of the flavors there so you
> can compare "linux" with something like windows.
Surely that should have been "total" instead of average to do any
comparisons. I guess it's any installation that's the total of
customized enough or marked as "other" distributions. I guess if
Google's stats were available, their servers would come up as Linux
kernel-running machines but not any known distribution.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:44 PM

Rob Del Vecchio wrote:
>>> http://thecloudmarket.com/stats#/by_platform_definition
>> <snip>
>> Not sure I understand it... esp. since it lists "linux" as less than
>> ubuntu, and more than CentOS....
>>
> I'm guessing "linux" is an average of all of the flavors there so you
> can compare "linux" with something like windows.

Dunno. And what would the point of an "average" be, if the total for all
flavors of *Nix was way up there? What would it show, compared to this,
that Windows was *way* down below?

mark