Old 12-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Fajar Priyanto

Default how to install Linux on an IBM xserver 335 server without graphics card?

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I recently got some IBM Xseries 335 servers 2nd hand, and noticed they
> don't have any graphics card. Some google searched indicate they only
> have an uplink port, which you could connect to another (other model)
> IBM server and use that as the head node. But, I don't have one
> available.

I believe we can use serial console to it.
Use a null modem cable to connect to the serial console and use tool
like Hyper terminal or minicom.

I hate it too when server doesn't provide such a simple graphic card
and choose the "cool" serial console method.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:59 AM
cornel panceac

2010/12/19 Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@arinet.org>

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com> wrote:

> Hi All,

> I recently got some IBM Xseries 335 servers 2nd hand, and noticed they

> don't have any graphics card. Some google searched indicate they only

> have an uplink port, which you could connect to another (other model)

> IBM server and use that as the head node. But, I don't have one

> available.
it may be possible to conenct it to a (special) kvm switch, and then connect the display to the kvm sw instead.
--
Through political strategy they keep us hungry and, when you gonna get some food, your brother got to be your enemy.

(Ambush in the Night - Robert Nesta Marley)

Old 12-19-2010, 11:10 AM
James Pearson

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I recently got some IBM Xseries 335 servers 2nd hand, and noticed they
> don't have any graphics card. Some google searched indicate they only
> have an uplink port, which you could connect to another (other model)
> IBM server and use that as the head node. But, I don't have one
> available.

They do have a graphics card - the 'uplink' port is a KVM port that has
VGA and PS/2 - this is certainly the case with the X335's we have.

If you can get hold of a C2T breakout cable, then you should be able to
plug in a keyboard/mouse/screen.

Just google for 'IBM C2T X335 cable'

James Pearson

Old 12-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Adam Tauno Williams

On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 12:10 +0000, James Pearson wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > I recently got some IBM Xseries 335 servers 2nd hand, and noticed they
> > don't have any graphics card. Some google searched indicate they only
> > have an uplink port, which you could connect to another (other model)
> > IBM server and use that as the head node. But, I don't have one
> > available.
> They do have a graphics card - the 'uplink' port is a KVM port that has
> VGA and PS/2 - this is certainly the case with the X335's we have.
> If you can get hold of a C2T breakout cable, then you should be able to
> plug in a keyboard/mouse/screen.

+1