Old 12-18-2010, 07:33 AM
John R Pierce

Default server version on laptop

On 12/17/10 11:58 PM, Johan Scheepers wrote:
> Good day,
>
> What can I expect if I should install a server version of a distro on my
> laptop, please.

that would depend on what the distro is, and what qualifies this 'server
version' as such. for installing centos, which is often considered to
be a server oriented system, although it comes with a full set of
desktop components, you'd have to be concerned with hardware support
for you laptop's display adapter, network adapters, wireless, etc.
many wireless network adapters have poor support on linux and are
difficult to get working.

only you can know what your expectations are from an operating system,
assuming it supports your portable system.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

You can expect a server version of a distro on your laptop.

Kai

Old 12-18-2010, 12:19 PM
ken

On 12/18/2010 04:31 AM Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Johan Scheepers wrote on Sat, 18 Dec 2010 09:58:50 +0200:
>
> You can expect a server version of a distro on your laptop.
>

> Kai

Kai,

You took the words right out of my mouth. I've been running several
server apps (mail, web, ldap, cups, and others) on laptops for close to
a decade. No surprise, the server uses the same hardware drivers as are
found in the workstation version. And, yes, I also run the full gamut
of workstation apps on the same machine. It's only software, after all.
What's the big deal? Why wouldn't it work?

Old 12-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Johan Scheepers

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 12/17/10 11:58 PM, Johan Scheepers wrote:
>> Good day,
>>
>> What can I expect if I should install a server version of a distro on my
>> laptop, please.
>
> that would depend on what the distro is, and what qualifies this 'server
> version' as such. for installing centos, which is often considered to
> be a server oriented system, although it comes with a full set of
> desktop components, you'd have to be concerned with hardware support
> for you laptop's display adapter, network adapters, wireless, etc.
> many wireless network adapters have poor support on linux and are
> difficult to get working.
>
> only you can know what your expectations are from an operating system,
> assuming it supports your portable system.

I appreciate the time you spend on my question.

I am a pensioner. Never had experience about a server.
Only used desktops and now laptop.
Probably would never need server install.
Thanks now I know more
Regards
Johan

Old 12-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Johan Scheepers

ken wrote:
> On 12/18/2010 04:31 AM Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>> Johan Scheepers wrote on Sat, 18 Dec 2010 09:58:50 +0200:
>>
>> You can expect a server version of a distro on your laptop.
>>

>> Kai
>
> Kai,
>
> You took the words right out of my mouth. I've been running several
> server apps (mail, web, ldap, cups, and others) on laptops for close to
> a decade. No surprise, the server uses the same hardware drivers as are
> found in the workstation version. And, yes, I also run the full gamut
> of workstation apps on the same machine. It's only software, after all.
> What's the big deal? Why wouldn't it work?

Thanks.
Now we do know even more.
Johan

Old 12-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Johan Scheepers <johansche@telkomsa.net> wrote:
> Good day,
>
> What can I expect if I should install a server version of a distro on my
> laptop, please.

I'm running CentOS 5.5 on a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop. No real
issues, but some caveats:
1) Getting the multi-media keys to work took some doing. Though
fairly well documented online, it took a while to find.
2) Sleep/Hibernate functions seem to work every other kernel update
(that's probably not the case but it seems so).
3) Wireless took some tinkering to get working. I don't use the
wireless too often though.

Again, nothing that a quick Google didn't solve, but took a day or so
to get it working. I enjoy the success at the end, but can be
frustrating if you're in a rush. The desktop oriented distributions
picked all of the hardware up without error. Even my AT&T USB 3G card
worked with just 4 clicks on "Next".

But I still run CentOS because the frustration I faced some 2 or 3
years ago is nothing compared to the years of stability I've had

Old 12-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Rob Kampen

Johan Scheepers wrote:

Good day,

What can I expect if I should install a server version of a distro on my
laptop, please.

Thanks
Johan

Hi Johan,
Pretty much the same as installing it on any other system.
I run CentOS on multiple servers at home and my small business (5 last
count)

as well as on two workstations - dual monitors on nvidia graphics adaptors
as well as on a Sony laptop.
All CentOS 5.5 at this date and most functions on the laptop work - the
suspend / hibernate doesn't seem to work reliably but all the other
hardware including battery monitor and wireless (broadcom in this case
was a challenge but it does work).

Please note I use NetworkManager only on the laptop.
HTH
Rob