Old 12-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Cia Watson

Default Best way to set up for PHP websites

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 19:09:44 -0500
Ruslan Sivak <russ@vshift.com> wrote:

> I am looking to set up a CentOS server for hosting a high traffic PHP
> site (specifically Drupal 6).
>
> I am trying to figure out what's the best way of setting up PHP. The
> standard mod_php seems to not be a good solution, as it requires
> apache to be in the prefork configuration, due to PHP not being
> thread safe.
>
> Something like mod_fcgi seems to be the way to go, but I can't seem to
> find a good guide on setting it up.
>
> I installed Zend Server, but seems like they are only supporting
> FastCGI for Apache on Windows, and only mod_php on Linux.
>
> Their admin control panel is using lighttpd and mod_fcgi on Linux. I
> getting it to work with Apache, but am having issues with the missing
> mysqli libraries.
>
> Is it recommended to use mod_fcgi on CentOS? Is there a way to get it
> to work with Zend Server?
>
> If not, should I try to get things working with lighttpd? I'm not
> sure how easy it would be to set up a config to work with Drupal.

I have a Drupal website, and I originally set up my site
running on localhost on my laptop using lighttpd, it worked fine for a
localhost. At the time my 'live' site was hosted by an outfit that was
using IIS, I'm now with a host that uses RHEL 5 and Apache. And I
currently use Apache as my localhost server also; since I decided to
set up a few virtual hosts for testing and they were much easier to
figure out how to make it work on Apache than lighttpd. (Maybe because
there were more examples online. )

This is the tutorial I used for my first setup with lighttpd, and though
it's a bit dated it's still workable. It came up as the third result
when I just searched install lighttpd and php:
http://www.howtoforge.com/lighttpd_php5_mysql_fedora7

I've never actually configured php, I just install the files (including
php-mbstring), and create a user for mysql and extract the Drupal files
to the docroot and I'm good to go. If it's a high-traffic site others
may have more specifics about php to add... for me the defaults have
worked fine. HTH.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Rainer Duffner

Am 18.12.2010 um 01:09 schrieb Ruslan Sivak:

> I am looking to set up a CentOS server for hosting a high traffic PHP
> site (specifically Drupal 6).

AFAIK, the optimal solution is to run the latest php5.3-series as php-
fpm with NGINX.
It offers the best performance for the dynamic part.

If you got it working, research about using varnish http cache in
front of Drupal.

High-traffic sites with Drupal require significant effort and a deep
understanding of the inner workings of Drupal and the modules and
extensions you use.

And unless there's repository out there that has all this for CentOS,
it may not be the right platform.

Rainer

Old 12-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Ruslan Sivak

Is there a how-to somewhere on getting php running with nginx?* I would love to get that working.*

I am already planning on using nginx as a front end to varnish for compression, and varnish for* caching and load balancing.* I just really want to get good performance out of the dynamic php part and mod_php isn't it.* I considered using quercus for a while, but it doesn't seem to work properly with drupal.

Russ

Old 12-18-2010, 12:35 AM
John R Pierce

On 12/17/10 9:30 AM, Cia Watson wrote:
> I've never actually configured php, I just install the files (including
> php-mbstring), and create a user for mysql and extract the Drupal files
> to the docroot and I'm good to go. If it's a high-traffic site others
> may have more specifics about php to add... for me the defaults have
> worked fine. HTH.

drupal really hammers on your database too. you need a well tuned and
optimized mysql or postgres configuration to run it, and you likely want
to use some form of SQL cache (memcached etc), since drupal will make
the same queries over and over and over again.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:53 AM
"Geoff Galitz"

>>Is there a how-to somewhere on getting php running with nginx?*
I would love to get that working.*

http://wiki.nginx.org/PHPFcgiExample

*

We have around a*dozen systems running in this
configuration and it works well.* They are among our lowest maintenance and
highest performing sites that we have.** Note that there is an fcgi
package available (in EPEL, possibly also in rpmforge) which takes care of most
of the configuration for you.* You primarily need to pay attention to the
nginx config and then make sure the fcgi service is running.

Good luck.

*

*

*

Old 12-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Rainer Duffner

Am 18.12.2010 um 02:12 schrieb Ruslan Sivak:

> Is there a how-to somewhere on getting php running with nginx? I
> would love to get that working.

You need to compile php with fpm support.
Then, in nginx, you basically say:

server {
listen *:80;
server_name www.domain.com;

location / {
root /home/domain/FTPROOT/htdocs;
index index.php index.htm index.html;

# if file exists return it right away
if (-f $request_filename) {
break;
}

if ($request_uri ~ '^/(typo3(/|conf|temp)|
fileadmin|uploads|t3lib|clear.gif|index.php|favico n.ico)') {
break;
}
# otherwise rewrite it;
if (!-e $request_filename) {
rewrite ^(.+)$ /index.php last;
# rewrite .* /index.php last;
break;
}

}

# if the request starts with our frontcontroller, pass it
on to fastcgi
location ~ .php$ {
fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/php-fpm-domain.sock;
fastcgi_index index.php;
fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME /htdocs
$fastcgi_script_name;
fastcgi_param PATH_INFO $fastcgi_script_name;
include /usr/local/etc/nginx/fastcgi_params;
fastcgi_param DOCUMENT_ROOT /htdocs/ ;
}
}

The php-fpm mailinglist is a good start for question regarding this
topic.
I don't know about memcache, but it's surely a good idea.

With varnish, you have to be very careful because it doesn't cache
sites with cookies.
Different drupal-modules and extensions will create their own cookies
and so almost nothing will cache.

Probably, the people at
http://groups.drupal.org/nginx

know more about this than me anyway.

Rainer

Old 12-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Keith Roberts

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010, John R Pierce wrote:

> From: John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Best way to set up for PHP websites
>
> On 12/17/10 9:30 AM, Cia Watson wrote:
>> I've never actually configured php, I just install the files (including
>> php-mbstring), and create a user for mysql and extract the Drupal files
>> to the docroot and I'm good to go. If it's a high-traffic site others
>> may have more specifics about php to add... for me the defaults have
>> worked fine. HTH.
>
> drupal really hammers on your database too. you need a well tuned and
> optimized mysql or postgres configuration to run it, and you likely want
> to use some form of SQL cache (memcached etc), since drupal will make
> the same queries over and over and over again.

This is not FOSS stuff, but something like ioncube might
help you speed things up.

http://www.ioncube.com/comments.php

HTH

Keith Roberts

in practice they are not.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Nicolas Ross

> This is not FOSS stuff, but something like ioncube might
> help you speed things up.
>
> http://www.ioncube.com/comments.php
>
> HTH

You can also use xCache, we've had dramatsic performance improvement with it. From .12 s page load tome to 0.007 for some case. It was not druppal, but our own code tough.