Old 12-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Matt

Default CentOS 5.5 Sofware RAID1

I have the CentOS 5.5 install DVD and trying to install with software
RAID1 on two 2TB SATA drives. The CentOS install only sees one drive.
This is a Supermicro motherboard with fakeraid turned off in bios.

I tried the trick like so:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=64
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=64

Still no go. linux rescue console does see both sda and sdb. Whats going on?

Old 12-17-2010, 10:31 PM
"Lisandro Grullon"

When you boot does the OS see both drives, if so, why not configure using LVM.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:01 AM
Matt

> I have the CentOS 5.5 install DVD and trying to install with software
> RAID1 on two 2TB SATA drives. *The CentOS install only sees one drive.
> *This is a Supermicro motherboard with fakeraid turned off in bios.
>
> I tried the trick like so:
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=64
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=64
>
> Still no go. *linux rescue console does see both sda and sdb. *Whats going on?

Well I figured that part out.

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SoftwareRAIDonCentOS5

boot: linux nodmraid

Locks up on formatting file system everytime now though. Ugh.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Arun Khan

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Matt <lm7812@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the CentOS 5.5 install DVD and trying to install with software

> RAID1 on two 2TB SATA drives. *The CentOS install only sees one drive.

> *This is a Supermicro motherboard with fakeraid turned off in bios.

> I tried the trick like so:

> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=64

> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=64

> Still no go. *linux rescue console does see both sda and sdb. *Whats going on?

Well I figured that part out.

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SoftwareRAIDonCentOS5

boot: linux nodmraid

Locks up on formatting file system everytime now though. *Ugh.

I suspect the BIOS - see if there is any update.
-- Arun Khan*

Old 12-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Ryan Wagoner

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 4:01 AM, Matt <lm7812@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have the CentOS 5.5 install DVD and trying to install with software
>> RAID1 on two 2TB SATA drives. *The CentOS install only sees one drive.
>> *This is a Supermicro motherboard with fakeraid turned off in bios.
>>
>> I tried the trick like so:
>>
>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=64
>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=64
>>
>> Still no go. *linux rescue console does see both sda and sdb. *Whats going on?
>
> Well I figured that part out.
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SoftwareRAIDonCentOS5
>
> boot: linux nodmraid
>
> Locks up on formatting file system everytime now though. *Ugh.

nodmraid tells the kernel to ignore fakeraid. You did change the
controller from RAID to AHCI in the motherboard bios?

Ryan

Old 12-19-2010, 07:00 AM
Matt

>>> I have the CentOS 5.5 install DVD and trying to install with software
>>> RAID1 on two 2TB SATA drives. *The CentOS install only sees one drive.
>>> *This is a Supermicro motherboard with fakeraid turned off in bios.
>>>
>>> I tried the trick like so:
>>>
>>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=64
>>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=64
>>>
>>> Still no go. *linux rescue console does see both sda and sdb. *Whats going on?
>>
>> Well I figured that part out.
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SoftwareRAIDonCentOS5
>>
>> boot: linux nodmraid
>>
>> Locks up on formatting file system everytime now though. *Ugh.
>
> nodmraid tells the kernel to ignore fakeraid. You did change the
> controller from RAID to AHCI in the motherboard bios?

Have fake raid disabled in bios. There is an option to turn AHCI off
or on. Have tried both ways. Does not install either way. Pulling
my hair out on this.

Its a Supermicro PDSML-LN2+ and a couple new identical Samsung 2TB
SATA drives. Trying to install CentOS 5.5 64bit.