Old 12-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Robert Heller

Default centos 5.5 x86_64 mixing with i386 rpms

> Good day,
>
> What will happen if on x86_64 some i386 rpms get installed, please.

Depends. It is in fact *normal* for i[3456]86 *libraries* to be
installed on a CentOS/RHEL x86_64 system (many are installed by
default). It is possible to also install i[3456]86 *programs* as well,
and this works just fine, since A) the x86_64 kernel/program loader is
just as happy to run 32-bit programs as to run 64-bit programs and B)
the various i[3456]86 *libraries* are also generally (or can be)
installed. Installing a i686 *kernel* or *kernel module* is pretty
much useless, unless you reboot with the 32-bit kernel. At which point
your *64-bit* programs won't work :-(. You don't want to do that. For
some programs/packages, installing the 32-bit version might be ill
advised, but I don't think things will necessarily break.

What you should *not* do is try to upgrade a 32-bit OS to 64-bit: you
should *always* do a 'fresh install' if/when you do that. Make a backup of
your /etc and /home and maybe things like /var/www and /var/ftp, dump
your MySQL/Progress/OpenLDAP databases, etc., unless that stuff is on a
separate file system.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:43 PM
"Nicolas Ross"

> Good day,
>
> What will happen if on x86_64 some i386 rpms get installed, please.
> Thanks
> Johan

You'll need some libraries, like libstdc++ in i686 version, but they'll be
installed and they'll run.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:31 AM
Johan Scheepers

Robert Heller wrote:

>> Good day,
>>
>> What will happen if on x86_64 some i386 rpms get installed, please.
>
> Depends. It is in fact *normal* for i[3456]86 *libraries* to be
> installed on a CentOS/RHEL x86_64 system (many are installed by
> default). It is possible to also install i[3456]86 *programs* as well,
> and this works just fine, since A) the x86_64 kernel/program loader is
> just as happy to run 32-bit programs as to run 64-bit programs and B)
> the various i[3456]86 *libraries* are also generally (or can be)
> installed. Installing a i686 *kernel* or *kernel module* is pretty
> much useless, unless you reboot with the 32-bit kernel. At which point
> your *64-bit* programs won't work :-(. You don't want to do that. For
> some programs/packages, installing the 32-bit version might be ill
> advised, but I don't think things will necessarily break.
>
> What you should *not* do is try to upgrade a 32-bit OS to 64-bit: you
> should *always* do a 'fresh install' if/when you do that. Make a backup of
> your /etc and /home and maybe things like /var/www and /var/ftp, dump
> your MySQL/Progress/OpenLDAP databases, etc., unless that stuff is on a
> separate file system.
>
>> Thanks
>> Johan

Thanks for your time to explain.

This happened while I was installing multimedia plugins.

I keep to the official repos for usual updates.

Regards
Johan

Old 12-18-2010, 05:34 AM
Johan Scheepers

Nicolas Ross wrote:
>> Good day,
>>
>> What will happen if on x86_64 some i386 rpms get installed, please.
>> Thanks
>> Johan
>
> You'll need some libraries, like libstdc++ in i686 version, but they'll be
> installed and they'll run.
>
> Regards,

This happened while installing multimedia.

Now I feel better. It was not too important rpms.
Thanks for your time
Regards
Johan