Old 12-17-2010, 04:41 PM
S Mathias

Default google chrome "big brother"

Google Chrome Terms of Service(Google Chrome
executable),*BSD*(source code and Chromium executable except chromium 5 beta),
BSD License*with proprietary parts (source code and chromium 5 beta executable, as it integrates*Adobe Flash Player*10.1[1])[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome
in my*interpretation, this means Google Chrome is fully open-source, only the flash player has proprietary codes.
am i right, or i'm missing something?
i would be happy if someone could correct me.
thank you!!
*ps.: because "they" say google is the "big brother"

Old 12-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Manuel Escudero

Google Chrome Terms of Service(Google Chrome
executable),*BSD*(source code and Chromium executable except chromium 5 beta),

BSD License*with proprietary parts (source code and chromium 5 beta executable, as it integrates*Adobe Flash Player*10.1[1])[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome

in my*interpretation, this means Google Chrome is fully open-source, only the flash player has proprietary codes.

am i right, or i'm missing something?

i would be happy if
someone could correct me.
thank you!!

*ps.: because "they" say google is the "big brother"

No. Google Chrome is not Opensource, The project behind, (Chromium)is Fully OpenSource, but Google Has the Rights over CHROME.
Obviously, Flash is closed source.

In few words, Chromium is OPEN SOURCE and CHROME isn't, somethinglike FreeBSD and Mac OS X hahahaha
Cheers!
--
<-Manuel Escudero->

Linux User #509052
@GWave: jmlevick@googlewave.com
@Blogger: http://www.blogxenode.tk/ (Xenode Systems Blog)
PGP/GnuPG: DAE3 82E9 D68E 7AE4 ED31* 1F8F 4AF4 D00C 50E7 ABC6

Old 12-17-2010, 05:11 PM
"Edg@r Rodolfo"

Edguit@r
http://cybernautape.blogspot.com

2010/12/17 Manuel Escudero <Jmlevick@gmail.com>

> 2010/12/17 S Mathias <smathias1972@yahoo.com>
>>
>> Google Chrome Terms of Service(Google Chrome executable),*BSD*(source code and Chromium executable except chromium 5 beta),
>>
>> BSD License*with proprietary parts (source code and chromium 5 beta executable, as it integrates*Adobe Flash Player*10.1[1])[2]
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome
>> in my*interpretation, this means Google Chrome is fully open-source, only the flash player has proprietary codes.
>> am i right, or i'm missing something?
>> i would be happy if someone could correct me.
>> thank you!!
>> *ps.: because "they" say google is the "big brother"
>>
>> --
>>

> No. Google Chrome is not Opensource, The project behind, (Chromium)
> is Fully OpenSource, but Google Has the Rights over CHROME.

That's right !!!

Old 12-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 09:41:55 -0800, S Mathias wrote:

(please, avoid using html format ;-) )

> Google Chrome Terms of Service(Google Chrome executable),*BSD*(source
> code and Chromium executable except chromium 5 beta),BSD License*with
> proprietary parts (source code and chromium 5 beta executable, as it
> integrates*Adobe Flash Player*10.1[1])[2]
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome in my*interpretation, this
> means Google Chrome is fully open-source, only the flash player has
> proprietary codes. am i right, or i'm missing something? i would be
> happy if someone could correct me. thank you!!
> *ps.: because "they" say google is the "big brother"

AFAIK, what is open source is Chromium but not Chrome.

In regards with the "big brother" tag (OTOH, who are "they"?), I think is
due to the fact Google's eye is almost everywhere, but has nothing to do
with their software licenses.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 12-17-2010, 09:33 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 9:42 AM, S Mathias <smathias1972@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Google Chrome Terms of Service(Google Chrome executable),*BSD*(source code and Chromium executable except chromium 5 beta),

Please *do* *not* *post* in HTML - this came through so tiny I
couldn't read it at all, and HTML takes up a minimum of 4x the space
of plain text.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Lisi

On Friday 17 December 2010 18:48:42 Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 09:41:55 -0800, S Mathias wrote:
> > Google Chrome Terms of Service(Google Chrome executable),*BSD*(source
> > code and Chromium executable except chromium 5 beta),BSD License*with
> > proprietary parts (source code and chromium 5 beta executable, as it
> > integrates*Adobe Flash Player*10.1[1])[2]
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome in my*interpretation, this
> > means Google Chrome is fully open-source, only the flash player has
> > proprietary codes. am i right, or i'm missing something? i would be
> > happy if someone could correct me. thank you!!
> > *ps.: because "they" say google is the "big brother"
>
> AFAIK, what is open source is Chromium but not Chrome.

Can anyone explain this* (which is the reason why I have not yet installed
Chromium).

Thanks,
Lisi

lisi@Tux:~$ aptitude show chromium
Package: chromium
State: not installed
Version: 0.9.13.2-1
Section: games
Maintainer: Debian Games Team <pkg-games-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Uncompressed Size: 373k
Depends: libalut0 (>= 1.1.0-1), libc6 (>= 2.7-1), libfontconfig1 (>= 2.4.0),
libftgl2 (>=
2.1.3~rc5), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libgl1-mesa-glx | libgl1, libglpng,
libglu1-mesa |
libglu1, libopenal1, libsdl1.2debian (>= 1.2.10-1), libstdc++6 (>=
4.1.1),
chromium-data (>= 0.9.12), ttf-uralic
Chromium is a top down fast paced high action scrolling space shooter which
uses the SDL libs.
In this game you are the captain of the cargo ship Chromium B.S.U., and
responsible for
delivering supplies to our troops on the front line. Your ship has a small
fleet of robotic
fighters which you control from the relative safety of the Chromium vessel.
Homepage: http://chromium-bsu.sourceforge.net/

Old 12-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Thierry Chatelet

> Can anyone explain this* (which is the reason why I have not yet installed
> Chromium).
>
> Thanks,
> Lisi
>
> lisi@Tux:~$ aptitude show chromium