Old 12-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Les Mikesell

Default Opinions wanted...user management options....Home network

On 12/17/10 11:27 AM, David Sommerseth wrote:
> On 17/12/10 16:55, Tom Bishop wrote:
>> So I need some opinions on which way to go, for my home network I am
>> running almost all linux, and I am starting to want to manage all of the
>> users accounts, uid/gids for all of the devices some of which are
>> laptops...so what is the best path going forward, on the server end I am
>> running Centos5.5 and will be moving to centos 6 once it is
>> released...the laptops and desktops run various flavors of
>> Ubuntu/Fedora..Thanks in advanced, if there are any questions let me
>> know....
>
> Install the centos-ds suite. That'll give you a great directory server,
> accessible via LDAP. Then you can consider to setup a kerberos server
> as well, where you can easily do single sign-on between your hosts as well.
>
> centos-ds is the rebranded Red Hat Directory server, also available in
> Fedora as 389 Directory Server. So the docs for setting up and
> administering it shouldn't be too far away.

Does anyone know if the LDAP service that works out of the box on ClearOS can be
easily used for authentication by other OS versions? If so, installing one of
those (which also gives you email, samba, and a bunch of other services) would
make it painless because it includes a very nice ajax-y web interface to manage
everything.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com