Old 12-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Beartooth

Default Moving from Fedora -- Advice??

I'm running Fedora14 on all machines, including my wife's -- and
I'm the nearest (distant) thing there is to tech support.

She's far more likely to outlive me than I her; so I want to
install something requiring a lot less maintenance on her machine, so
that she'll have it and be used to it, years ahead of need.

I'm thinking CentOS 6, whenever it's ready, is probably my best
choice. Any thoughts? (And yes, I do mean what my .sig says.)

Old 12-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Guenther Boelter

On 12/18/2010 01:04 AM, Beartooth wrote:

> I'm running Fedora14 on all machines, including my wife's -- and
> I'm the nearest (distant) thing there is to tech support.

What's wrong with Fedora in that case, what do you think is the benefit
of using CentOS instead?

Old 12-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Scott Robbins

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 01:11:49AM +0800, Guenther Boelter wrote:
> On 12/18/2010 01:04 AM, Beartooth wrote:
> >
> > I'm running Fedora14 on all machines, including my wife's -- and
> > I'm the nearest (distant) thing there is to tech support.
>
> What's wrong with Fedora in that case, what do you think is the benefit
> of using CentOS instead?

Fedora will break things. They're still, in many ways, figuring out
what they are, but they do serve as a test bed, or perhaps development
platform, for various things that aren't ready for prime time.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Joyce: Have we met?
Spike: You hit me with an ax one time. Remember? Uh, 'Get the hell
away from
my daughter!'
Joyce: Oh. So, do you, uh, live here in town?

Old 12-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Les Mikesell

On 12/17/10 11:11 AM, Guenther Boelter wrote:
> On 12/18/2010 01:04 AM, Beartooth wrote:
>>
>> I'm running Fedora14 on all machines, including my wife's -- and
>> I'm the nearest (distant) thing there is to tech support.
>
> What's wrong with Fedora in that case, what do you think is the benefit
> of using CentOS instead?

You'll get tired of having to re-install fedora at least yearly. If you are
young that might not sound like very often - but eventually you'll change your
mind, especially if you manage very many machines and/or run into the problems
you hit with less-tested versions. Remember that the main purpose for fedora is
to get the first large-scale testing done before things go into RHEL.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Paul Heinlein

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On 12/17/10 11:11 AM, Guenther Boelter wrote:
>> On 12/18/2010 01:04 AM, Beartooth wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm running Fedora14 on all machines, including my wife's --
>>> and I'm the nearest (distant) thing there is to tech support.
>>
>> What's wrong with Fedora in that case, what do you think is the
>> benefit of using CentOS instead?
>
> You'll get tired of having to re-install fedora at least yearly.
> If you are young that might not sound like very often - but
> eventually you'll change your mind,

+1

<big-grin/>

Old 12-17-2010, 04:38 PM
David Sommerseth

On 17/12/10 18:24, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 01:11:49AM +0800, Guenther Boelter wrote:
>> On 12/18/2010 01:04 AM, Beartooth wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm running Fedora14 on all machines, including my wife's -- and
>>> I'm the nearest (distant) thing there is to tech support.
>>
>> What's wrong with Fedora in that case, what do you think is the benefit
>> of using CentOS instead?
>
> Fedora will break things. They're still, in many ways, figuring out
> what they are, but they do serve as a test bed, or perhaps development
> platform, for various things that aren't ready for prime time.

I so often hear that Fedora breaks things. I've been running F-11 and
F-12 on a server as KVM host, without issues. I've been using F8-F13 on
several computers (3 laptops and a workstation), and I can't really say
it has broken anything on my setups. It might be I'm not using it
"right" to experience such breakage. Use cases are everything from
"mail, surf and OO.org" to development tasks

In fact, for me, Fedora has been way more stable and solid than the time
I was running Ubuntu (from Gibson to Ibix), where I got worried every
time there were new updates available.

But rightfully enough, I've never tried CentOS on the desktop. Maybe
CentOS 6 will be a good choice for that.

kind regards,

David Sommerseth

Old 12-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Guenther Boelter

On 12/18/2010 01:24 AM, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 01:11:49AM +0800, Guenther Boelter wrote:
>> On 12/18/2010 01:04 AM, Beartooth wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm running Fedora14 on all machines, including my wife's -- and
>>> I'm the nearest (distant) thing there is to tech support.
>>
>> What's wrong with Fedora in that case, what do you think is the benefit
>> of using CentOS instead?
>
> Fedora will break things. They're still, in many ways, figuring out
> what they are, but they do serve as a test bed, or perhaps development
> platform, for various things that aren't ready for prime time.

Not really ...

Redhat 6.0 and hopefully CentOS 6 is a very good OS for a server, no
question. But for me, Fedora is the better OS for a workstation.
Actually I'm still using Fedora 13 and I'm very satisfied with that.

I'm running CentOS 5 on my servers, that's really ok. What I don't like
is, that there are no informations about CentOS 6 on there homepage.
Something like '50% are already done' or so. There is always the
feeling, that the project might be dead. That's not really good i think ...

Was thinking about the Ubuntu Server Edition instead for a while, but I
don't like Ubuntu so much. Don't ask me why: The answer would be a
little bit longer ...

Old 12-17-2010, 05:11 PM

David Sommerseth wrote:
> On 17/12/10 18:24, Scott Robbins wrote:

>>> What's wrong with Fedora in that case, what do you think is the benefit
>>> of using CentOS instead?
>>
>> Fedora will break things. They're still, in many ways, figuring out
<snip>
> I so often hear that Fedora breaks things. I've been running F-11 and
> F-12 on a server as KVM host, without issues. I've been using F8-F13 on
> several computers (3 laptops and a workstation), and I can't really say
> it has broken anything on my setups. It might be I'm not using it
<snip>
I upgraded a workstation that we do offline backups on to FC 13, from FC
10. I *H*A*T*E*D*!!! FC13. Things do *not* work right. I had to remove
gnome, because it was hosed - you couldn't log in in runlevel 5, got a
vertical bar a couple of pixels wide instead of a login pane. It crashed,
every other week it seemed, and yes, I was doing updates. FC14 *seems* to
be a bit more stable, though right now, I'm fighting to try to get
ssh-agent working correctly on it - just did a full update, and now it
starts it on login... but doesn't stop it on logout, and doesn't pass the
environment variables.

*bleah*

In '06, when I was going to upgrade from Redhat 9 (not RHEL, shrike), it
was SuSE or Ubuntu, wound up with SuSE. When I was ready to go up from
openSuSE 10.3, I went to CentOS. I want a solid system at home - I do
enough admin work at work, I don't want to be debugging the o/s at home.
The my opinion, and the opinion of a number of folks I personally know
(including ESR, btw) of fedora is that it's bleeding edge, not leading
edge.

mark