Old 12-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Gabriel Tabares

Default How to strip out the title bar from xterm windows on CentOS 5 GNOME?

> Hi. Running CentOS 5 with the default GNOME desktop. Is it possible
> to configure xterm windows not to have title bars to get the most out of
> the available screenspace?

I don't know how to do it with Gnome but, with KDE 3, you can set up a
shortcut to remove the window decorations on a per-window basis.

> Found a reference to Compiz but the version available through CentOS
> seems old (0.0.13 compared to the current around 0.8 or 0.9) and having
> a double zero version number, I was afraid to use it.

If I remember correctly, Compiz was quite unstable at that time, but I
may be wrong

Old 12-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Aleksey Tsalolikhin
<atsaloli.tech@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi. *Running CentOS 5 with the default GNOME desktop. *Is it possible
> to configure xterm windows not to have title bars to get the most out of
> the available screenspace?
>
> I've tried to look this up but mostly find reference how to change the
> content of the title bar; I want to remove it completely.
>
> Found a reference to Compiz but the version available through CentOS
> seems old (0.0.13 compared to the current around 0.8 or 0.9) and having
> a double zero version number, I was afraid to use it.

For an Xterm you'd use an .Xresources file then install with xrdb.
The xterm man page should have the relevant entries.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:37 AM
Bart Schaefer

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Aleksey Tsalolikhin
<atsaloli.tech@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi. *Running CentOS 5 with the default GNOME desktop. *Is it possible
> to configure xterm windows not to have title bars to get the most out of
> the available screenspace?

The presence and appearance of title bars (except for the text
content) are controlled by the window manager, not by the application
framed in the window. In the case of the standard Gnome desktop, that
application is "metacity". So you need to look for how to configure
title bars in metacity, not for title bars of xterm.

I don't know if it's possible to arrange for only a particular
application's windows to omit the title bars. There's a general theme
tutorial here:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/tutorials/metacity/metacity-themes.html

Old 12-19-2010, 11:17 PM
Kahlil Hodgson

On 18/12/10 13:37, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> The presence and appearance of title bars (except for the text
> content) are controlled by the window manager, not by the application
> framed in the window. In the case of the standard Gnome desktop, that
> application is "metacity". So you need to look for how to configure
> title bars in metacity, not for title bars of xterm.

For GNOME you can use Devilspie to do some additional window management
stuff that metacity omits, like window placement and decoration. Been a
while since I've used it, but you may be able to coerce it to do what
you want.

Kal