Old 12-17-2010, 06:44 AM
"Helmut Drodofsky"

Default Intel NIC

Hallo,
*
actual Intel Ethernet cards PCI-E
-********* Are normal recognized by Centos 5.5 Live CD
-********* Not recognized by 5.2
Because of vmware, I will use 5.2
*
Update kernel?
Update Modules? What Module?
*
Thanks for help
*
Helmut
*

Old 12-17-2010, 06:57 AM
Laurent Wandrebeck

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 08:44:46 +0100
"Helmut Drodofsky" <drodofsky@internet-xs.de> wrote:

> Hallo,
Hi,

> actual Intel Ethernet cards PCI-E
> - Are normal recognized by Centos 5.5 Live CD
> - Not recognized by 5.2
> Because of vmware, I will use 5.2
Can't you use Xen or KVM ? That way, you,ll have an up to date OS.
If not possible, updating kernel may be sufficient to make vmware work…
or break.
HTH,
Laurent

Old 12-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Peter Kjellström

On Friday, December 17, 2010 08:44:46 am Helmut Drodofsky wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> actual Intel Ethernet cards PCI-E
> - Are normal recognized by Centos 5.5 Live CD
> - Not recognized by 5.2
> Because of vmware, I will use 5.2

It's not recommended to run CentOS-5.2 (many serious security
vulnerabilities).

/Peter

Old 12-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Lamar Owen

On Friday, December 17, 2010 02:44:46 am Helmut Drodofsky wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> actual Intel Ethernet cards PCI-E
> - Are normal recognized by Centos 5.5 Live CD
> - Not recognized by 5.2
> Because of vmware, I will use 5.2

Why? Are you wanting it as a VMware host or guest? As the kernels are basically identical in terms of the version string, the VMware kernel modules, for VMware Server or Workstation as a host, and VMware tools as a guest, should load without a recompile.

I'm running a number of CentOS 5.5 guests on VMware ESX 3.5U5 with no issue.

Which VMware is this, type and version, please?

Old 12-17-2010, 03:21 PM
"Helmut Drodofsky"

- I'm using 5.2 or 5.3 as a host.
- my expierince: 5.4 is not stable with vmware as a host.

The hosts are completely behind firewall.

Vmware server 2.0.2-203138

With 5.3 my problem was solved.

Helmut

Old 12-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Lamar Owen

On Friday, December 17, 2010 11:21:29 am Helmut Drodofsky wrote:
> Vmware server 2.0.2-203138

And that would be the most recent build.

> With 5.3 my problem was solved.

Have you tried 5.5 yet?

For grins and giggles I'm going to play with it on a box I have, but it will be a little while before I have anything definitive.....

Old 12-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Les Mikesell

On 12/17/10 10:21 AM, Helmut Drodofsky wrote:
> - I'm using 5.2 or 5.3 as a host.
> - my expierince: 5.4 is not stable with vmware as a host.
>
> The hosts are completely behind firewall.
>
> Vmware server 2.0.2-203138
>
> With 5.3 my problem was solved.

The 2.x series of vmware server are badly broken with respect to RHEL/Centos -
plus the change to the web based console is horrible. I'm running the older 1.x
server on several centos 5.5 machines with no problems. But, if it is at all
feasible you are better off running the free Vmware ESXi on the host instead of
the server version. You do need a windows box to run the remote console, though.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-17-2010, 05:36 PM
JohnS

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 11:11 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 12/17/10 10:21 AM, Helmut Drodofsky wrote:
> The 2.x series of vmware server are badly broken with respect to RHEL/Centos -
> plus the change to the web based console is horrible.

Mine is not broken. The web Admin works like it should.

> the server version. You do need a windows box to run the remote console, though.

No you do not that is not so. The Console can be executed with out ever
going to the web admin.
As in the "plugin" can be executed with out firefox.

John

Old 12-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Les Mikesell

On 12/17/10 12:36 PM, JohnS wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 11:11 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On 12/17/10 10:21 AM, Helmut Drodofsky wrote:
>> The 2.x series of vmware server are badly broken with respect to RHEL/Centos -
>> plus the change to the web based console is horrible.
>
> Mine is not broken. The web Admin works like it should.

Just to be clear - do you mean you are running vmware 2.x server under post 5.2
Centos without the library issues that everyone else had? The change to the
web admin is a separate issue and not technically broken - I just don't like it.

>> the server version. You do need a windows box to run the remote console, though.
>
> No you do not that is not so. The Console can be executed with out ever
> going to the web admin.
> As in the "plugin" can be executed with out firefox.

And this was in the context of ESXi. Are you saying you can get a console to
the ESXi server on something other than windows?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-17-2010, 07:25 PM
JohnS

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 13:23 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 12/17/10 12:36 PM, JohnS wrote:
> >
> > Mine is not broken. The web Admin works like it should.
>
> Just to be clear - do you mean you are running vmware 2.x server under post 5.2
> Centos without the library issues that everyone else had? The change to the
> web admin is a separate issue and not technically broken - I just don't like it.
>
> >> the server version. You do need a windows box to run the remote console, though.
> >
> > No you do not that is not so. The Console can be executed with out ever
> > going to the web admin.
> > As in the "plugin" can be executed with out firefox.
>
> And this was in the context of ESXi. Are you saying you can get a console to
> the ESXi server on something other than windows?

Less,

Your inbox will give you the answer...

John